chapter sixteen .

Just like that, the day of the fair arrived. Weeks of preparation, hours of hard work from all the students who had been anticipating this day...and now it was here. The halls were embellished with colorful streamers, bulletin boards displaying pieces of artwork donated by the talented people in the art club, other boards decorated with...well, other decorations. The fair itself didn't have a particular, established theme, so when it came to decorations, many of the classes simply chose things that were pleasant to the eye.

Anyone was welcome to come to the fair. Parents, students from other schools who, though it seemed highly unfair to Yoongi, had off today, so they were able to visit Daesung High if they so desired. Then again, it was a Saturday. Of course they had off. Yoongi was just bitter that he had to go to school for something he didn't really want to do, let alone at all. His class had decided to do a cafe. How original. Yoongi didn't argue, though, seeing as anything was better than being forced into performing in a play, as another class had chosen to do as their "special activity."

Jimin had been assigned on kitchen duty. Although he wasn't surprised, Yoongi was a bit disappointed that Jimin wouldn't be on the serving/waiting committee with him. The day would probably drag on even longer, especially since he was stuck working with Taehyung, who made absolutely no effort to camouflage those bitter stares of his. It was a good thing Yoongi was indifferent to Tae's opinion of him.

The morning went by rather slowly. Typically, not many people came by until the afternoon, so for a while no one really knew what to do with themselves. Some people slipped away from their stations to go to other classrooms, others started conversations to pass the time. Yoongi was tempted to leave his room and find Namjoon, but the minute he made the decision to do so, his homeroom teacher happened to enter to inform the class that numerous, large groups of students from other schools were arriving, and that everyone was to remain at or return to his or her own station. It was close to noon. People were bound to flock to any and all places that were offering food. This thought in mind, Yoongi braced himself for the oncoming storm of teenagers he predicted would be showing up any moment.

"Can't believe I'm stuck here with you..."

Taehyung scratched the back of his head. He sighed loudly just as a couple of girls from another high school entered the cafe. Yoongi, who was standing directly beside him at the time, didn't have to ask to know that Tae was referring to him. He clenched his teeth and resisted the urge to bite back at him.

Almost resisted, that is.

"Who says I wanna be stuck with you, either?"

Taehyung clicked his tongue. "I don't really care what you want," he muttered under his breath. "If Jimin didn't like you so much, I'd have punched you in the face by now."

"And why's that?"

"I don't even know, you've just got a punchable face. And you're annoying. Really annoying and I don't like you."

"Awfully blunt, aren't you?"

"Of course. I'm an honest person."

Yoongi scoffed. "Define 'honest'."

"Hey. What are you trying to say?"

"Nothing. You need to pay attention. We have more customers arriving."

"Why you little--hello! Welcome to our cafe! Yoongi here will show you to your seat. Won't you, Yoongi?"

"How about I show my foot to your a-"

"Aaa-ah-ah." Taehyung pressed a finger to Yoongi's lips. "Such foul language is a no-no in this establishment." Smiling cockily, he turned to the two ladies now giggling at the scene. "Excuse him. He's a bit lacking in the manners department. But he won't keep you waiting any longer. Yoongi, go go."