chapter one .

"Kim Namjoon, I hate you more than life itself."

His friend was the one conjuring up enough dirty tissues to fill twelve large trash cans, and yet Yoongi somehow possessed enough bitterness so that Namjoon didn't have to open his mouth even once to complain. It wasn't his fault. But Yoongi blamed him anyway. Yoongi blamed his best friend for getting sick. Because he just needed some way to vent his anxiety, and in the form of anger seemed to be the best and easiest way for him. In all honesty, he did feel sorry for him. The phone call the two shared mere moments ago consisted solely of a quiet 'get better, you loser' followed by a plethora of hideous coughs that sounded to have been forced out of the depths of Namjoon's stomach.

As Yoongi stood at the entrance to the school building, a part of him wished he could be in his friend's place. Not a shred of his being wanted to be here. Not alone. Not without Namjoon. He legitimately considered turning back and heading home. What difference would it make? Missing one day, maybe two, depending on how long it took for Namjoon to recover. It wouldn't be such a big deal. And if Namjoon asked, he could simply tell him he was feeling under the weather too.

No...no, he could never bring himself to lie to his only friend. Not after everything he had done for him.

Recalling their conversation from the previous day, Yoongi mustered up enough courage to take that daring step into the building. He was immediately greeted by the regrettably familiar rush of hyperactive teenagers chasing one another down the halls, the deafening sounds of laughter and clusters of voices which were all a bit too cheerful for him to handle. He tried his best to resist the urge of covering his ears. But truly, they were rejecting everything at this point. "It's too early for this," he muttered to himself, transforming into a stick so that he could safely slip past people without making any physical contact. All he needed to do was figure out what classroom he was in, and he would go there straightaway, find a seat at the very back, and sleep until the first class began.

Unfortunately, however, Yoongi couldn't really be assured that would work out well. People always did act a bit bolder on the first day of school, and if one happened to notice the mint-haired loner with his guard down, they might actually approach him and do something terrible. Like say hello. And this time, Namjoon wouldn't be here to politely ask them to go away.

It seemed like an hour had passed before Yoongi managed to even reach the name listings. His eyes, still heavy and tired from only having received around three hours of sleep the previous night, lazily scanned the students' names in search of his and Namjoon's, and he fully expected them to be on the same list. But they weren't. No, as if things couldn't go any worse for him that morning, Yoongi discovered that his best friend had been placed in a class separate from his own. He felt a prick in his chest. "Well, it's not like I wanted to survive the school year anyway." Yoongi heaved a great sigh and lowered his head, basking in a moment of self-pity. Maybe if he waited long enough, the listings would change, and whatever demon had done this would realize his mistake and move Namjoon back to where he belonged.

"Jungkook, it's not funny anymore! Give it back!!"

Yoongi clenched his fists and pressed his eyelids tightly together as additional loud voices attempted to crawl into his ears. They would pass by him soon. Whatever idiots were running through the halls would pass by him soon enough, so he would wait until they were gone before raising his head again. However his little plan turned out to be a huge failure when one of the "idiots" brushed by him a touch too quickly, causing Yoongi's head to smash against the listings board with a bit more force than he would have liked. He fell immediately to his knees and placed his hands atop the newly acquired bruise. Whoever was responsible would pay. Yoongi swore he would kill them. He would kill them with death.