31. Eve

2 hours later and Eve was finally free to leave the conference room that the police officers had her held up in. More police officers had arrived before they started taking her statement. First off they asked her what she had witnessed when she went into the room but as it slowly became apparent to them that this was about way more than one isolated incident they began to ask more and more questions about her relationship with Harry and then her relationship with Jake. They asked to see all of Eve's emails from Jake. Which lead to some pretty intense questions.

When they'd finally finished their questioning they told her they had enough to charge Jake with ABH, stalking, and breaking and entering. What they couldn't tell her was what would happen to Harry.

Wearily she trudged down to reception. It was now 4am and despite the excitement of the police being in the hotel the place was like a ghost town. Thankfully the guests had t been disturbed and there were very little staff on duty at this time of night.

She organised a room with the receptionist and took the key card, found her room and crawled in to bed. She couldn't face going back to the suite. She didn't know if Harry was there or even if he'd be back there tonight, but she couldn't run the risk. She didn't have the energy to speak to him, or be angry at him. She thought it best to get a room for herself. And deal with the shit show, that was her life, in the morning.

Sleep was difficult. Every time she closed her eyes she could see Jake's lifeless body lying on the floor. Harry's bloody knuckles and the look of a man possessed in Harry's eyes when she first opened the door to see Harry's fists beating off Jake's face.

She knew Harry was protective and it had always been something that she found attractive in him. She felt safe with him and knew that her safety was a massive priority to him. But tonight something had flipped. He wasn't doing that for Eve's safety. He had gone far beyond protecting Eve and into the realms of a pure thug. Relishing the ability to beat a man within an inch of his life. And that scared Eve.

She had survived many years, living in fear of a man she knew had the ability to cause her a lot of physical harm. She couldn't go through that again.

She tossed and turned until the sun began peeking through the curtains. Eventually she admitted defeat and took a shower, taking all her clothes off to put them all back on again after her shower because she couldn't face going back to the room. In case Harry was there. But there was also the worry that he wasn't there. What if he was still with the police. What if he'd been arrested?

Eve's questions were answered shortly after 7am when there was a light tap on her door. She considered ignoring it but a part of her knew it wasn't Harry. Hesitantly she peeped through the peephole to a distorted image of Anne on the other side.

"Hello sweetheart" She smiled kindly as Eve opened the door. "Can I come in?"

Eve simply nodded and pulled the door back to see that Anne was alone. Eve stepped out the way to let Anne in.

"How're you holding up?" She asked as she turned to face Eve.

Eve took a deep breath and shrugged. "I don't know" She shook her head hoping to keep the tears at bay.

"I don't even know what to think or how I should be feeling" She shrugged, all hope and life had been beat out of her.

"Oh sweetheart" Anne sighed and wrapped her in a much needed hug. They stood like this for a few moments in the middle of the room. Eve relishing the feeling of safety in a mother's arms.

"I just don't know what to think." Eve sobbed eventually as she pulled away from Anne. Squeezing her eyes tightly closed to try and rid the tears and the anger that was bubbling away inside.

"I know Harry's not a bad person, but I can't get passed the lying." Eve paused, realising she didn't know how much Anne even knew of the situation. Or if she even knew there had been a situation.

As if reading her mind Anne quickly reassured her.

"Harry came to me earlier this morning, after he was finished with the police. So I only know one side of the story, but as a woman it's not hard for me to understand your side of it too"

"So he wasn't arrested?" Eve breathed a sigh of relief.

"No. A charge will be subject to a.report to the procurator fiscal. But right now he's not been arrested"

"Ok" Eve nodded, processing the information.

"He's worried about you, you know" Anne tells Eve, perching herself on the edge of the bed.

Eve sighs. "I'm not sure I care?" Eve grimaces knowing how heartless it sounds. "I think that's what I'm struggling with. I can't seem to sympathise with him. I can't see it from his point of view. I'm too angry to care how he feels. Does that make me the horrible person here?" Eve asks exasperated.

"No, darling, it doesn't" Anne answers simply. "I know he's my son and I'll support him no matter what because I'm his mother and that's what I'm supposed to do but I can't condone the lies. I can't support him hiding something like this from you. I didn't bring him up to lie. What I will say for him, is this: while I may not have brought him up to lie or hide the truth, I brought him up to be caring, I taught him how to be kind and protect the ones he loves. Misplaced as his lying was, I think he was doing it to protect you."

For a moment Eve just listens. Taking in Anne's words and considers them before answering. "I spent such a long time with a man who lied to me daily. I just, I can't go through that again. I can't live my life having things kept from me"

"While I can't condone the lies, please remember that he wasn't lying to hurt you, he wasnt doing it out of malice, or spite or to control you. He was just trying to control the situation so that you weren't hurt by it"

I nod, not sure what else I can say to Anne.

"I know it may not feel like it right now, he was doing it out of love for you sweetheart" She gets up off the bed and leans over to give me a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll leave you in peace. I've told Harry he needs to give you a little space. I hope you don't have to give him too much space" she smiles but it doesn't quite reach her eyes as she leaves me to wallow.