26. Eve

"Where do you think you're going wearing that?" Jake asked the moment Eve stepped into the living room.

"It's Jill's leaving night. Remember I said last week" Eve gulped looking down at her outfit. She's put so much effort into her outfit tonight. She'd teamed a pink and red cami with a black skater skirt and black sandals. Her outfit wasn't fancy or expensive but she felt good. She felt like she would fit in.

"And you're wearing that?" Jake's eyes ran from Eve's hair all the way down to her shoes. It made her stomach roll.

"Is it not ok?" Eve asked smoothing out the non existent creases in her skirt while standing as still as possible.

"It's ok, if you wanted to look like a tramp" He frowned as Eve's heart sank. She really thought, for once, that she looked pretty decent.

Eve knew she was showing a little more skin than usual but her skirt came down to her knees and she had a denim jacket on to cover her arms.

"You can go out if you change into jeans, and a t-shirt that actually covers your tits"

"I don't have time to change, the bus is in 5 minutes" Eve tried to keep her voice as even as possible. She didn't want to sound as if she was disobeying him.

Jake huffed and pushed himself off his armchair. "Well you're not going out like that. No girlfriend of mine will be seen out in public looking like that" He sneered as he got closer.

"Please Jake, this is the first time they've invited me out in a long time. I'd really like to go" Eve pleaded, wrapping her arms around her body, for the little protection they would provide.

"See, here I was, thinking I was being reasonable letting you out tonight, I mean, you didn't have my dinner ready for me coming home, and my beer wasn't in the fridge but I let that all slide because I thought you deserved a night out, for being a good girl" His eyes were getting darker and his voice was getting deeper. She knew all hopes of a night out were over. She knew what would come next. Eve tried to take a step back but Jake quickly wrapped his fingers round her bicep, squeezing too hard.

"But should someone who can't do what they're told be expected to behave on a night out. I don't think so. Get up the stairs and get changed" Jake pushed her back towards the door. Eve scurried through the door to do as she was told.

"Better yet..." Jakes voice came from right behind her as she climbed the stairs. "... how's about I help you get changed and give you a lesson on being a good girlfriend.

She had hopes of that night being a fun night filled with drinking, dancing and laughing instead her hopes lay in tatters, along with her black skirt and cami.

"Eve, are you ok?" Harry's voice pokes at the edges of her attention, but right now all she could focus on was Jake. The room was full of men in suits and women in gowns, waiters with trays of champagne and canapé's but all Eve could see was Jake. The one person she'd risked everything to get away from. The one person she had hoped she'd never see again, was standing 40 feet away, in a plain white shirt and dark trousers, eyes scouring the place. Looking for her.

Her shoulder shook but still she couldn't take her eyes from him. Fear had her rooted to the spot, unable to drag her eyes from him. Because the minute she stopped looking at him would be the minute he would see her and then it would all be over.

"Earth to Eve" Harry's palm waved in front of her face, breaking her trance like state.
"What's going on? You were away..." Harry immediately realised the fear in Eve's eyes.

"What's wrong baby?" He asked, clasping one of her hands in his.

"Nothing" Eve answered quickly, eyes darting towards the nearest exit. She had to leave before he saw her.