thirteen

(a/n: thank every one of you for reaching the goal so quickly! today's chapter is dedicated to dreamingoddest for the endless support and love <3<3<3 hope you keep enjoying my writing, because i'm enjoying your support <3)

thirteen 

WAKING UP in my own bed was a peculiar experience. Roused awake by the sun, I fought the urge to groan out as the discomfort in my body registered. My muscles were aching, my powers taking a toll on my body - 

Coffee. Coffee. 

Five minutes later, I was seated by my kitchen breakfast bar, nursing a strong cup of black coffee. The TV was playing in the background, the sound muted. I'd opened the blinds, and the morning sun winked over the top of the buildings across the streets. 

There were a stray pair of clouds dotting the otherwise clear sky, painted in light, summer pastels. Glancing at the clock was futile - I knew I was up ridiculously early since I was currently watching the sun rise. 

Shuffling over to top off my cup of coffee, I reached into the fridge for the butter. Popping a slice of bread into the toaster, I leaned back, eyes drifting to the view out of my window. The street was completely silent - all the windows on neighboring houses covered by blinds. 

At least they were smart enough to actually draw the blinds. 

Reaching for the toast once it was done, I hissed when the hot bread touched my fingertip. Dropping it on the countertop, I went to the sink, running my finger under cold water. It was then I took notice of the notification flashing on my phone. 

My heart jumped to my throat, and I reached for the phone immediately. A text from Sawyer, responding to the one I'd sent telling him I was unharmed after the news of the skyscraper bombing. 

Sawyer: Good to hear you're alright. Will be in Dynamo for business. Lunch? 

The corners of my lips turned, a smile blooming on my face. I rarely, very rarely, had the opportunity to see my brother, due to his top-secret work flying him all over the place. Even now, I was unsure as to what his exact position was, but I tried not to care. 

As the chance to see him occurred so rarely, I was intent on taking advantage of his presence in my new home-town. It was only too bad I hadn't been out and about enough to recommend him a great place to eat at.

Me: Definitely. Know a place?

Drumming my fingers against the countertop, I didn't have to wait long for his response. Whatever time he'd been allowed on the phone, he was surely using it efficiently.

Sawyer: Burger place uptown - The Grub Lab. At two?

Me: See you there :)

I fancied myself the nicer O'Hare sibling, as I had a penchant for pairing my text messages with a nice smiley or two. Not receiving one when someone texted you always felt excessively aggressive, for some reason. Sawyer never used them, and wrote so curtly I sometimes felt as if I was being summoned to a job interview. Either way - it didn't matter. 

My mood lifted, spirits heightened, I went to take my breakfast. At least I had something to look forward to today.