- 22 | F E E L I N G O F L O S S

Gandalf told us to get ready, we would head to Isengard first thing in the morning. I rode back to the stables and gave my reins to a stable boy. I patted the horse, quietly thanking him for being a good boy during the battle. I then strode away to look for the room Théoden said I could use. I almost bumped into Éowyn who was happily talking with her brother.

"Gwen!" She exclaimed happily, "I'm happy you're okay! Have you met my brother yet?"

I glanced at Éomer who kindly smiled at me. "Yes, actually, a couple days ago on the plains of Rohan."

Éomer looked still guilty. "I'm really sorry about your friends."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Don't be, apparently, those little rascals are still alive and well."

He sighed relieved and I looked back at Éowyn. "Your uncle told me of a room I could use to refresh myself, do you know which room he was talking about?"

She nodded and pointed down the hall. "First door on your right."

I bowed slightly for the two and mumbled a quick 'thank you' before hurrying off. I really wanted some time alone now. The thought of Haldir not being here still made me sick.

I opened the door and quickly closed it behind me. I pulled my armor off and placed it on the ground. After I had bathed myself, I would clean that up.

I took of my clothes and washed them in a bucket of water. After that, I hung them on a chair, hoping they would be dry soon. I filled a bath and quickly scrubbed every spot of black orcblood from my body. I washed my hair and untangled it. I dried myself off and was happy to see my clothes were dry. I braided my hair and took my armor to scrub the dirt off.

It was then that I noticed that someone engraved something on the inside.

"A strong friendship doesn't need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part."

Always remember I'll be there for you, even if you don't need me, I'll always be there to guide you home.
~ Haldir

Tears were streaming over my face again. I pulled the armor into my arms, trying to get it as close to me as possible. I sat like that for a while until someone knocked on my door.

"Gwen?" The voice asked, "Can I come in?"

When I didn't replied, the door opened and Legolas walked in. He kneeled next to me and wiped my tears away. "What's wrong?"

I showed him the armor and he read it. He then sighed and pulled me into a hug. "He was my first real friend," I told him. "I mean, Sam, Pippin and Merry are also my friends but that's mainly because of Frodo. And then you guys, you are my friends too but that's only because we are the Fellowship. He was the first person to be my friend because he chose to be."

Legolas raises my chin. "Maybe that's how it started, but I don't want to be your friend anymore." I froze and looked up at him. I started to crawl away but he pulled me against his chest and softly pressed his lips against mine. "I want to be more," he whispered, pulling back. "I love you, Gwen, I always have and I always will."

My eyes were tearing now but not because of sadness but because of happiness. I finally felt like I opened the part inside of me that was closed before. I smiled and kissed him back softly. "I love you too, Legolas."

I put my head on his shoulder and we sat there for a while. "I should get some sleep," I told him. He nodded, stood up and placed a kiss on my forehead. I smiled up at him and sat on my bed when he left the room, not quite believing what just had happened.

Did Legolas just kissed me?

I smiled slightly and looked at the armor. I carefully picked it up and placed it on a chair. I was going to wear it tomorrow.

I fell down on my bed. I let the sleep take over and the last thing I remembered before falling asleep was a smile spreading on my face.