Fifteen//Coming Back

PONYBOY

I WALKED INTO practice and saw Angela seated on the bleachers. I sighed and remembered what Amelia told me yesterday. Now's a better time than later, I thought.

I excused myself for a little while before stretches and ran up to the bleachers. Angela was sitting on the top bleacher, so I had to hike my way up the stairs.

When I got up there, Angela smiled and walked up to me after getting up from her seat. I was panting a little, but it wasn't too bad. It was better than doing dignity-destroying stretches with the guys in your high school.

"Angela, we have to talk," I said. Angela giggled and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Angela, Amelia told me about the rumors. You have to stop saying whatever you're saying. It's not funny, it's not cute, it's just desturbing. Amelia's my girlfriend. She's already got enough on her plate with her brother in jail and everything. She was so nice to you at the drive-in. Just return the favor," I said sternly.

"Curtis, get your butt down here!" my coach yelled to me from the track. I nodded and made my journey down, not even giving Angela the chance to talk.

—🖤—

I GOT HOME and saw Amelia sitting at the kitchen table with her homework. Before I even got inside, I got an idea. I quietly ran from the porch steps and made my way quickly to the gas station.

AMELIA

STEVE DROVE ME home since he had the day off and because Darry was taking up the extra shift at work. I did my homework while I waited for Ponyboy and Sodapop to come home. I had a piece of chocolate cake while I did my homework and I changed into some comfortable clothes. I put on a red tank top and my only pair of jeans, which I rarely ever wore.

I finished my work and decided to sit down and watch TV. Mickey Mouse was on, so I settled on that instead of the two other channels. I grabbed another piece of cake and ate that. Dally didn't call and I was too young to drive a car up there, not that Darry would let me out anyway.

When someone rapped at the door, I grabbed my grandmother's old sweater and threw it on before answering. When I walked by a mirror, I saw the scar in my shoulder where I got shot. I ran my fingers very lightly over it and snapped out of it when the door was knocked on again.

I looked through the hole and saw Ponyboy standing outside. I sighed and opened the door. When I opened it, I saw that he was holding a daisy that he picked out of the ground and a few candy bars. I chuckled and crossed my arms as I leaned against the frame of the door. I cocked my eyebrow naturally and he blushed and he chuckled in embarrassment.

"I talked to Angela today. I thought maybe I could treat you to a little TV date since the others are going to be at work for a little while," he said. My heart swelled at his attempt to make me feel better about the whole Angela situation. I sighed and stood up straight, opening my arms to hug him. Ponyboy fell into them and hugged me tight.

"I love you, Amelia Winston," he said. I smiled wide and felt my insides melt. I buried my face into the crook of his neck happily.

"I love you too, Ponyboy Curtis."

—🖤—

I FELL ASLEEP on Ponyboy's lap in the living room watching the television and eating candy. I didn't eat that many, but Ponyboy ate most of them. I had three—he had six.