Nine//Digging Okay

DALLAS

I ALREADY KNEW the sounds of the sirens were coming to the hospital as soon as the nurses let me leave that morning. It was raining heavily, but the sun was still out. It felt strange to be warm while getting drenched in the rain, but seeing my kid sister's face as the officers hauled me away into their car made me feel less strange and more guilty.

She was worried. I knew she was worried. She was worried about what's going to happen to me. She's worried about how long I'm going to be there, how many people are going to be there with me, if Tim Shepard is going to be able to bail me out this time. But I knew he couldn't. His brother, Curly, was to be in the reformatory for the next six months, and I guess he was waiting to get him out before he could help me out. I didn't blame him. If Amelia was in the reformatory while Tim was being hauled away to jail, I think he would know and respect that my baby sister comes first always and forever.

AMELIA

I WATCHED AS Dallas was being dragged into yet again another cop car. It was the same routine—Dallas being cuffed by one cop, people staring, and me having to watch. The only thing that was different were my tears—they weren't tears of fear or anxiety, but of lack of sleep. I was tired, angry, and confused. Why does Dally do these sorts of things? Am I ever going to see Mama again? What does everyone else in this town think of me when they see my brother being arrested?

Darry noticed my frustration, so he put a hand on my shoulder. Ponyboy already had a tight grip on my hand, and although his hand was getting sweaty, I still held on. The gang is all I have left. I used to say that all of the time, but now I knew what it really meant.

When the cops drove away with my big brother in the back seat, Soda hugged me. I hugged him back and I let the tears fall down my face again.

"It's gonna be okay, kid," he said. "We're gonna take you to our house. You can rest there, okay?"

"I'm so tired, Soda," I sobbed. "I never thought I would be so tired at fourteen."

"I know, kiddo. I know," he said soothingly. He let go of me and Ponyboy took his brother's place. He kissed my temple and shushed me, rocking me ever-so slightly.

"It's okay, baby, he's gonna be alright," he said. My sobbing got lighter and the tears stopped falling down my face. He let go of me and stared at my face. I looked into his eyes and he smiled at me. I smiled back a sad smile. He kissed my forehead and took my hand in his.

"Come on, let's go home," he said. I nodded, but I thought to myself, What is home? Is it my house with Mama and Papa? Is it with Dally at Buck Merril's place? Is it with Two-Bit and Mrs. Mathews? Is it with Ponyboy, Soda, and Darry? Is it with Johnny in the lot? Do I even have a place I can call my home?

Whatever the answer was, Ponyboy, Soda, Darry, and I all climbed into Darry's truck. Soda sat in the trunk withPonyboy and I sat up front with Darry. We were halfway to the house when he started speaking to me.

"Kid, I know that you're worried. I know you're tired and scared. But mark my word, Amelia, we're all gonna protect you. Dally's gonna be okay and nothing bad is gonna happen to you," he promised.

I swallowed some bile that had been creeping up my throat. "I don't know, Darry," I said. "Things aren't like they used to be. The fuzz probably have eyes all over me. Everyone's gonna be on my case while Dally's in jail, I just know it. I don't know anything about what anymore."