16

N'Deke knew he should've been worried by the fact that Erik knew exactly where Wakanda was. But with all the man had shown him in the time they'd been together, nothing he did or said could shock N'Deke anymore. If anything he was overcome with bliss knowing he was finally home again.

As the scenery splayed out before, he couldn't help but ask Erik a burning question. "Why did you kill her?"

Erik shrugged. "I had no other choice."

"I'm sure you did." When he didn't answer, N'Deke tried again. "Didn't you feel at least something for her?"

"My ability to feel something left the night your people took my daddy from me!" Erik snapped. N'Deke shrunk in his seat. "So no, I ain't feel nothing for her. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

N'Deke didn't say anything. Instead he sunk lower into his seat and remained in that position until they at last landed.

The Border Tribe was already tense enough after watching their entrance. They stood poised and ready to attack as they watched the two approaching them, Erik dragging the bag behind him, and N'Deke following close behind. When W'Kabi recognized the Motobe, he walked forward to meet them.

"What is this?" he asked.

"Just a little gift." Erik bent down to open the bag.

The warriors raised their weapons but W'Kabi gestured for them to stand down. He stepped forward and took a glance inside the bag. Upon seeing Klaue's dead body, he glanced over at Erik, then N'Deke before using his Kimoyo beads to contact Okoye. He gestured for his men to put handcuffs on Erik.

"Are you all right?" W'Kabi asked N'Deke, checking him for injuries.

N'Deke nodded. "I'm good. I just want to see my family again."

W'Kabi nodded in understanding and led the way to the palace.

• • •

"Is this man Wakandan or not?" the River Tribe leader inquired.

T'Challa was barely listening. He was anxiously waiting for this man—his cousin—to show up. His talk with Zuri had left him angry at his father for doing something so awful. But he would be lying if he said he wasn't angry at this Killmonger as well. His actions could've cost Wakanda everything.

Shuri set a hand on his arm and squeezed. She was so close he could practically hear how hard her heart was beating. While they'd been talking to Ross, the audio enhancer she'd been keeping with her ever since T'Challa returned began to blink faster and faster by the hour. That was how she'd known he was back, safe and sound.

Finally, the large double doors opened. In marched W'Kabi, escorting Erik inside the throne room. N'Deke was right behind them. Shuri couldn't contain herself; she ran to him and threw her arms around his neck. N'Deke immediately returned the embrace, catching a glimpse of M'Bao standing up slowly for dramatic effect. Seeing his father again brought back memories he'd buried deep down. Everything was clearer now. He remembered all the man had said and done, how he'd always put himself before his own family. As stressful as his time with Erik had been, it had also opened his eyes.

M'Bao was power thirsty. And his son had only been a pawn in this game of his.

"Tell us what is going on," T'Challa said.

When Erik said nothing, W'Kabi added, "Speak."

He grimaced. "I'm standing in your house, serving justice to a man who stole your vibranium and murdered your people. Justice your king couldn't deliver."

T'Challa stood up. Okoye followed after him to keep him from making a rash decision. A horde of Dora Milaje stepped forward to ensure Erik wouldn't attack the king. And among those Dora Milaje was Akina. N'Deke tried to catch her attention, but it was in vain. Perhaps she was mad at him. He wouldn't blame her.