01

One thing he'd learned over the years was that she loved to train outdoors. Even though the palace had a room specifically for that purpose, Akina only used it when the weather wasn't on her side.

N'Deke sat on a large rock, one leg curled underneath him as he watched his sister spar with one of the Dora Milaje. He'd never learned her actual name, so he'd nicknamed her Tigress. She'd been Akina's mentor ever since the latter had first shown up at the palace doors that fateful day, with the resolve of joining the ranks of the Dora Milaje. While Tigress was agile, calculating, and quick (hence her nickname), Akina was a more fierce and offensive fighter. Watching them battle made for an interesting show that N'Deke never missed. Never knowing who'd gain the upper hand made it all the more better.

He straightened up when he heard footsteps in the distance, his ears twitching ever so slightly. Soon after, a set of hands slammed down on his shoulders, followed by a "Boo!"

He laughed while Shuri settled down besides him, pouting. "How many times do we have to go over this, Princess? You can't scare me if I already heard you coming."

"One, stop calling me Princess. You act as if we haven't been friends over the last, what, five years? Two, I was being so much more quiet this time."

He tapped his ears playfully. "Not quiet enough, it would seem. Aren't you supposed to be working on new tech?"

"I was. And then I got distracted when I remembered T'Challa's coronation ceremony is today, so I came out here to get some fresh air." Shuri looked over at the two women in front of her. At this point, Akina was starting to get tired, and it showed. As strong as she was, Tigress had much more experience than her. The winner of today's battle was now clear as day. "How's she doing?"

"As fierce as ever. She's made progress too. Before, I don't think she would've been able to keep up with an older Dora Milaje so well, or for so long."

"Have you gotten an occasion yet?"

"No, not yet. I'm still waiting."

Within a blink, Tigress unarmed Akina. The latter found herself pinned to the ground. Her spear slid a couple of feet away. Tigress stood up, hand held out. Akina let the older woman pull her up onto her feet.

"Good fight," Tigress said. "You've done well today."

Akina nodded in acknowledgment.

A beeping caught their attention. All four simultaneously checked their Kimoyo beads to see a message had been sent to everyone. T'Challa was back.

Shuri jumped up onto her feet, patting N'Deke on the back. "Good luck," she muttered.

Tigress gathered her spear and followed the princess, which left the two siblings alone, something they'd gotten used to.

"Would now be a good time?" N'Deke asked.

She scoffed. "Are you deaf or is your enhanced hearing already wearing off? His Highness is here. Now's not the time for your foolishness."

He sighed. Usually, her two main excuses were "I'm too tired" or "I have duties to tend to." It seemed that today she finally had a valid one, much to his dismay. "When can I show you then?"

She deflected the question with one of her own. "Why do you waste your time on watching me train? Don't you have better things to do?"

"It's because I care."

Akina rolled her eyes as she walked past him. "You've always been such a  sentimental fool, mfowethu."

N'Deke impulsively grabbed her shoulder, a gesture unlike him. It must have been desperation, or perhaps he'd finally gotten fed up of her blowing him off every time. She spun around, twisting his arm in the process. He nimbly shook off her grip, attempting to swipe her legs from underneath her, but failed to see her incoming knee. It collided with his stomach. He dropped to his own knees, breathless. Akina let out a haughty huff, straightened up and began walking away from the training grounds.

"I tried to convince dad to let you be part of the tribe again."

That made her stop. Her face twisted in disgust. "That's not caring. That's pity. And I don't need or want it."

She stood where she was, waiting for him to say something else. He didn't, because deep down he knew that she was right. As good as his intentions had been, he'd done it out of pity.

"Pathetic. Besides, I already told you. I don't want to be associated to this so-called tribe anymore. You really must be going deaf." Akina scoffed. "Now go get ready for the ceremony, will you? This is no proper attire. And tell Mom I send my greetings," she added quietly as an afterthought before marching off.

• • •

And here's the second update (enjoy it because with school starting up I don't know if I'll have time to update twice a week again until summer break). I'm honestly really satisfied with how this chapter turned out though. Don't forget to drop a vote if you liked it, and I'll see you all next week.