Chapter 7 - Rose [UPDATED]

Start from the beginning

The brown-haired boy bit his lip, then said, "I was heading in that direction myself, actually. Do you want me to walk you?"

He had not been heading in that direction, which was perfectly obvious when one considered the way he'd been walking when I ran into him. Why was he offering to walk me? I looked at him, observing the way he glanced at me hesitantly, but didn't meet my eyes. He didn't seem uncomfortable; just... bashful, maybe. It could have been a stretch, but... did Andy still like me? As in, like like me?

I smiled softly. "I think I can find my own way, but thanks for offering." I put my hand on his arm and added, "We should get together and catch up sometime. It's really been too long."

I don't think I imagined the faint blush that crossed his cheeks as he cracked a grin. "Yeah, I... I'd like that."

"Good," I said, putting on the most careless smile I could muster. "Well, I guess I'll see you around, then."

Andy nodded in agreement, clearly happy with the end result of the conversation, and I trotted off in the direction of the hospital wing before my facade slipped away.

Of course, I wasn't actually going to get a sleeping potion from Madame Longbottom (to me, Auntie Hannah, because she was married to my parents' childhood friend Neville Longbottom, who taught Herbology), but something else had been nagging me and I wanted to ask her about it, in a discreet sort of way. It might be too late to do anything about it, but I figured I ought to make sure, in case there was still a way.

When I pushed through the double doors into the hospital wing, Auntie Hannah was just waving at a blonde girl heading for the door. I recognized her as Julia Addams, a fifth year who my cousin Lily sometimes hung around with. She wasn't the most upstanding person, and to be honest, I didn't like her much. She didn't return the bland smile I sent her way as she brushed past me, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to get on with my business as quickly as possible.

Hannah Longbottom caught my eye as I approached her, and a fond smile slipped onto her face. "Rosie! I feel like it's been ages since I've seen you."

I grinned, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I know, awful, isn't it? I just can't seem to get sick."

She chuckled. "You know, I actually prefer to see people when they aren't ill."

"Well, I suppose that's good," I said, "since I'm not really in need of any care myself." It was going to take a bit of creativity to ask the question I needed to ask without exposing myself, but I had formulated a bit of a plan.

The nurse sighed, faking disappointment. "How sad. Why have you come, then? I don't suppose it was simply for the pleasure of my company."

I shook my head, smiling at her. "You must know, Auntie, I really do enjoy your company. But there is something..." Straightening my face, I glanced behind me to assure myself that we were alone before answering. "It's rather a delicate matter," I intoned, my voice low. I needed a promise that she wouldn't tell anyone about this conversation - especially not my mother.

Auntie Hannah nodded, understanding on her face. "Don't worry, darling... I know how to be discreet. I won't be gossiping about any student's business. What's on your mind?"

I looked away, then back at her. "It's not really about me, it's, um... it's for a friend. She... went out with a boy the other night, and things went... well, a lot farther than she expected them to, if you know what I mean."

The nurse sighed. "All too common a story, I'm afraid. I sometimes question the wisdom of keeping all these hormonal teenagers cooped up in this castle... it's a wonder we don't have more scandals on our hands."