1.72 Summer Blossoms (2)

Start from the beginning

Some onlookers that noticed their peculiar group started to gather around them. Initially, the interest was because everyone in their group were good-looking, that it unwittingly warranted people to take a second look, then a third look... . Then upon realizing that their subjects of interest did not mind - or did not care - of the attention, their spot became quite crowded with people.

Some were interested in their go game, some were just content feasting their eyes on the handsome men and beautiful two young maidens.

HeShan and SunChen had a great time playing against each other, then against Ji SongLi. They initially tried to show JingMo how to play it, but after several games of ruthless massacre - JingMo's go pieces were basically all gone in a matter of minutes, both scholars gave up.

As for Ji SongLi; ever since he became their disciple long ago, both scholars always knew that the young man was adept in the four arts, and was one talented youth in this strategy game. 

It seemed that, even after all this years, he had not dulled at all. If anything, his moves became faster and more decisive, able to see the slightest mistake and loopholes in the opponent's course of action.

Their playing style differed greatly too. HeShan always tried to be more reserved, trying not to lose his go pieces too much.  Everyone found out that playing weiqi with him would drag the time too long, that finally SunChen forbid him to have another game after a couple.

Xiao Hui had already fallen asleep under the blossoming tree, clearly not interested in it. JingMo walked around, but never far from her side.

SunChen was more similar to SongLi - both were ruthless and gladly sacrificed their pieces in order to swallow the opponent's as quick as possible.

Their games were so fast and ended rounds after rounds, that YuLan could no longer see or comprehend what each move meant.  She knew the basic idea was similar to modern chess game, and she had seen HeShan and SunChen played weiqi before, that she somewhat understood the mechanics. But to see two masters pitting against each other... .

"At the pace they move their go pieces, they may as well just throw them at each other." - she couldn't help but to widen her eyes in amazement, no longer able to focus on the strategy behind their movements.

The onlookers were also seemingly in similar line of thought as hers - they could no longer follow the crazy game. Finally they felt bored and began to disperse, leaving the group to enjoy the rest of their nights.

After some moment of silence and their latest game ended, SongLi, HeShan, and SunChen  stood and stretched their bodies. The few hours of games, just sitting down, had ached their muscles.

Xiao Hui was still sleeping, Even JingMo had previously also fallen asleep by her side, her head on his shoulders. He woke up as HeShan, SunChen, and SongLi finished their games.

Not far from them, YuLan was entertaining herself playing with some lanterns that were hung on the trees. She collected the ones that she liked and put them all under a single branch. The blossoming summer flowers swayed gently on top of her head and around her, the slightest breeze causing the petals to disperse and danced around her. Behind the row of trees, the illuminated temple stood, also giving gleam to her smiling profile.

 Behind the row of trees, the illuminated temple stood, also giving gleam to her smiling profile