chapter 24

After Santana left, which was shortly after lunch, Rachel started to think about what Santana said. Should she really see a shrink? It just sounded so weird. On the other hand, Santana made it sound like it wasn’t all that weird nowadays and taking that into consideration, she started to figure why not?. 

Lost in throughts, she almost didn’t hear the doorbell. When she walked over to open the door, she saw Sam standing in the doorway. 

“Hello Rachel, can we talk for a second”, Sam said 

Rachel gestured him to come in and they both walked towards the living room. “I need to talk to you about Finn. Look, I’m sorry if I’m intruding…”, Sam started. 

“No, you’re not”, Rachel interrupted him 

“No, you’re right. I’m not”, Sam said quickly. “I suppose you could say that your private life is your own business… but everyone who was involved in what happened last night is either working for our firm or has worked for our firm in the past and that leads me to believe that this might affect our work-situation, which entitles me to ask you to explain it to me” 

“Sam, breathe”, Rachel said, commenting on the long-winded sentence Sam just used. “Listen Sam, I like you… but I’m not gonna discuss my persnol life with you. Finn and I may both work for the same firm but that doesn’t mean that we have to explain ourselves to you.” 

“That’s not what I meant Rachel ”, Sam explained, “As a manager, I just wanna know if this will affect your work or Finn's work and I want to know if there’s something me or the firm can do to improve the working conditions” 

“Oh”, Rachel said, a little embarrassed for what she just said. 

“What happened last night Rachel?”, Sam asked with a caring voice, fully aware that he was sticking his nose in her private life here. 

“Finn and I had an argument… I hit him, he lost his balance and hit his head”, Rachel explained. 

“Somehow, I didn’t take you for the kind of person who would just hit someone for no good reason”, Sam said, attempting to provoke Rachel to tell him more. 

“No good reason?! The son of a bitch slept with someone else less than a month ago!”, Rachel said, raising her voice. 

“So?”, Sam said calmly 

“The girl he slept with…”, Rachel started to explain. 

“Kitty ”, Sam interrupted 

Rachel gave Sam an annoyed look. “Yes, Kitty… she’s an old friend of mine. He slept with one of my friends”, Rachel said with a grossed-out voice 

“Again I say, so?”, Sam said, “So he slept with someone else. You can’t blame him for trying to move on with his life. It took him almost two years to even start trying.” 

“I can and I will”, Rachel pouted 

“Rachel, you’re being unreasonable here. Was he supposed to see the words Rachel's friend written on Kitty's forehead”, Sam said. 

“He humiliated her in front of the entire office because things didn’t turn out his way”, Rachel shouted in Sam's face. 

“She slept with someone else while she was still with Finn. How would you have felt if Finn had slept with someone else while you were still married?”, Sam said, remaining calm. 

Rachel was quiet. He had a point. She’d have freaked out as well. 

“Look, I know I’m butting in on things that don’t concern me but since Finn is my brother-in-law as well, I sometimes feel compelled to defend him. If I don’t, I have to answer to my wife”, Sam said jokingly, trying to relieve some of the tension that filled the room since he came in. 

“Well, we don’t want that to happen”, Rachel said softly with a smile on her face. 

Sam took a few steps towards the front door. “Just promise me you won’t go all Forrest Gump on me”, he said 

Rachel looked at him with her eyes wide open. “Gee, thanks”, Rachel said sarcastically. 

Sam smiled widely. “I meant with the running… you know, run Forrest run”, Sam said, “Whatever the problems are, I’m sure we can work them out.” 

Without waiting for an answer, Sam walked back towards the front door and opened it. As he walked through it, he almost crashed into Kitty, who was standing in the doorway. Sam shot her a small unfriendly smile and walked away, leaving the door open. 

“Kitty?”, Rachel asked as she came walking towards the door. 

“I was hoping we could talk”, Kitty said cautiously