chapter 15

“Kyle! Kyle!”, Rachel shouted as Kyle stepped out of the doorway. He had just imparted some Buddhist wisdom on her and she had to admit, she liked the feeling of peace he was radiating. Not that she could just forgive and forget, like he more or less suggested. 

Kyle heard her calling out to him and stepped back into the doorway, looking at Rachel. “Hmm?”, he said. 

“W..would you like to have drink some coffee after work?”, she asked, flinching at the sentence she just formed, but trying not to let him notice. 

“You and me… coffee?”, he asked. Rachel nodded. “Is it necessary to wear a bullet-proof vest every time I see Finn after this?”, Kyle asked; a smile forming on his face. 

“It’s just coffee, not a marriage”, Rachel said, smiling back at him. 

“Well, okay. Want me to pick you up here… say around five?”, Kyle asked. 

“Yeah… thanks” 

Kyle then walked out of Rachel's office again and went straight to Jesse’s office where Jesse and Finn were waiting for him. When he stepped in the office, Finn immediately approached him and started asking questions. 

“Alright Kyle, how is she doing? Is she alright? How mad is she at me?…”, Finn started. 

“Finn … slow and steady breaths”, Kyle said, earning him a deadly gaze from Finn. “She seems to be doing pretty good, Finn ” 

“Did she say anything to you?”, Finn asked cautiously 

“Well, she said hi and all…”, Kyle started 

“I mean about…”, Finn interrupted 

“About that great big secret the two of you obviously have? No” 

“Well, thanks anyway Kyle”, Finn said as he stormed out of the room, lost in thoughts. 

When he left, Jesse approached Kyle. “Kyle… what are you not telling him?” 

“Alright, keep your mouth shut to Finn … but she asked me to have coffee with her and I said yes”, Kyle explained 

“You what? You idiot! Finn is gonna kill you”, Jesse shouted 

“Yeah that thought had occurred to me, hence the not telling him. Besides, it’s just coffee, not a marriage”, he smiled, using the same words Rachel used on him. 

“Hey, it’s your ass.”, Jesse said as Kyle walked away. 

“Hey Kyle!”, Jesse shouted after Kyle, who stopped and turns around. 

“If he kills you, can I have your office?”, Jesse laughs 

“Sure Jesse. And when your boss finds out you have a thing for his wife and fires you, do I get yours?”, Kyle said back with a grin on his face. 

“How the hell do you know about that?”, Jesse asked with a worried look on his face that made Kyle smile even wider. 

“Oh please, when she walks into the room you act like a schoolboy in love. I think one time, you actually used the word ‘alrightyho’”, Kyle said barely able to contain his laughter. 

“I actually used that word?”, Jesse inquired 

“Yes, and if I may say, that’s one of the few words you spoke to Brittany …. Not counting the kind of sounds you make when you’re taking a shit.” 

“What? I have spoken to Brittany ”, Jesse said disbelievingly 

“Okay, when?”, Kyle asked, folding his arms 

Jesse thought about it for a few seconds. “Oh screw you!”, Jesse shouted in defeat 

Later that day, Kyle and Rachel are having coffee on a terrace in front of a small café. 

“Rachel, can I ask you a question?”, Kyle asks. 

“Sure”, Rachel responds 

“Not that I don’t enjoy your company, but why did you ask me to come here with you?”, Kyle asks with a serious voice. 

“Nothing big, I just like talking to you”, Rachel said slowly 

“Alright, because… I have a girlfriend. So just to be clear, I like talking to you too but that’s as far as it goes”, Kyle explained 

“Thanks for being honest with me Kyle. But I wasn’t trying to hit on you or anything” 

“I know that… I just wanted it out in the open” 

“You know that? How did you know?”, Rachel asked with a confused look. “Do you have some sort of Buddhist radar or something?” 

“Come on Rachel I’m a Buddhist, not an idiot…. despite what some people say”, Kyle said with a comforting smile. “You’re not over Finn Hudson and you know it.” 

Rachel flashes Kyle a small smile. “What did he tell you?”, Rachel asks. 

“Surprisingly little…. actually nothing, now that I think of it” 

“Look Kyle, I…I understand that you wanna know about…..”, Rachel started 

“No Rachel, you don’t have to tell me anything. It’s really something between you and Finn. If you wanna talk about it, I’ll listen. If not, that’s okay too. Just understand one thing Rachel … everything will eventually come out. It’s like Buddha says, ‘Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth’.” 

“Thanks Kyle. I just d..don’t want this be office gossip for the next months” 

“Rachel …”, Kyle asks in a caring voice, “Is something wrong with you? You sound really incoherent” 

“It’s nothing Kyle… j..just some medical condition I have. I have trouble forming words and sentences. It’s easier if I talk slower” 

“You mean, like aphasia?” 

“Yes” 

“Isn’t that some sort of brain damage?” 

“Yeah, I was in a coma for six months”, Rachel said and she immediately slapped herself in the face… figuratively speaking, of course. “I shouldn’t have said that. Don’t tell anyone Kyle. Please? I don’t want everyone in the office giving me these pity looks” 

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone… including Finn ”, Kyle said. He looked at Rachel and saw that she wasn’t very comforted. 

“How about I give you one last quote… ‘You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough’” 

“Buddha really said that?” 

“He could have said it if he wanted to”, Kyle said making Rachel smile again. 

“Your secret’s safe with me Rachel ”, Kyle said. 

Do I happen to have any readers that love Roswell? I probably don't it's a very underrated show but I highly recommend it! But if I do how do you feel about the reboot trailer now that it's out? If you have mixed emotions about it message me, we'll have mixed emotions together lol, if you want to of course 😂