Chapter Twenty -Three

Start from the beginning

          When she looks away I shake my hand out a bit.

          I look over to my left to see that someone has already taken a seat next to me. It was Meme's brother. Should I say something? Or does he already see me and just doesn't feeling like saying hi? I sit quietly, and hold my hands in my lap.

         Initiative. My brain whispers.

        "Hey stranger," I murmur in his direction. It was almost inaudible. Idiot! I think to myself, he could have never had heard me. What kind of stupidness! Now I probably look like a crazy - 

          He looks over at me, then his face brightens. He wags his finger, grinning at me as he tries to remember who I am.

       "Hey, I know who you are... hold on," his smile widens as he remembers, "Your Meme's friend, right?"

          I nod animatedly. "Where's Meme?"

          "She's agnostic," he sighs.

          My mouth pops into a little o. "Don't worry about it," he shrugs, "She's just a teen... she's trying to find herself, or whatever teenagers do when they're freaking out and trying to figure out who they are as people."

       He was right. I nod at him and begin starring at the carpet.

       I was here because I guess maybe I was trying to find myself too. I mean, why else do people come to Church? - So they can prove whether or not they believe? - Right? I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.I think I belonged here. I felt I belonged here now, since no one had anything rude to say to me.

       Then I look up, and look around the room. All the kids seemed to be pretty decent, I scanned around the room. Then my eyes landed on something blonde, stupid, and pink all over. Claire.

         She caught my gaze and smiled deviously at me.

         "Harlot," she mouths to me.

          My stomach knots. Okay... maybe I didn't belong here. I try settling in my seat. Everyone is chatting to one another, I feel like these kids have known each other since they were little and all of a sudden this girl up and decides after starring a vampire in the face that she should come to Church.

         "So new girl," A girl with orangy red hair and feirce blue eyes calls obviously to me. I look up from the carpet in an alert manner.

          "Yes," I mumble feeling I was in the hot seat.

          "Have you ever caughten the Holy Ghost?" she inquires. I look around. What exactly was that again? I haven't steadily been to Church since my mom died. I want to say something, but I don't want to say the wrong thing and sound stupid. I already fucked up my status at Highschool, and I don't want to mess up my status here.

            I've seen the shows on TV, I know the Christians will be all kind to you and stuff, but I know they have higher statuses and lower statuses.

            "W -what exactly is that again?"

            "it's hard to explain, you've just got to experience it, it knocked my Ant on the ground wicked hard, it was crazy!"

             Okay...  what! I look around seeing if anyone else was as shocked as I am, because I did not know what she was talking about. Everyone seemed pretty chill with what she said though.

            Then they get into a whole conversation of who has and has not caught the Holy Ghost. Yet again I am left out of another social activity. 

            "The Holy Ghost isn't exclusive," Grace turns to me and smiles, I guess she can guess my tension and curiousity. I felt like I was holding my breath, but when she told me that my shoulders relaxed and I somewhat exhaled.

          "Thanks," I grin at her.

          Miss Anne walks pushing a cart, "Refreshments! I have them!" she chims, pushing the cart full of snacks and beverages to a back table. Everyone rushes up and tries to basically push each other for the food.

          I sit in wait. I never appreciated rushing to things - especially food.

         The only person left sitting was Claire, she glared at me.

         When everyone was seated I went up to see what they had left. There was still a decent amount left of bagels, donuts, danishes, fruits, yogurt, tarts, milk, and orange juice. I take a small saucer and put a danish on it.

         "Harlots don't belong at Church," she mutters to me, putting some strawberries on her saucer.

         "Goodmorning Claire, nice day isn't it?" I wasn't going to stoop to her level in such a Holy place. She cocks a brow at me, and then beams.

          "Goodmorning Fallon,"

         I am shocked nontheless. I nod, putting some kiwi on my plate. "

         "Fallon," Claire calls, "Can you pass the orange juice?"

        I look over at the glass pitcher of orange juice on my left and pick it up, preparing to hand it to her, the handle facing towards her. She takes it and smiles, then shrieks slightly, before I know it I'm drenched in orange juice.

        "Oh my God," she gasps out loud, loud enough for everyones attention to be averted over to us, feigning sympathy. "Fallon - your dress ... it's ruined, oh my God, Fallon - I'm so sorry. I have such weak arms... I should have had you pour it for me!" she acts as if it was just an accident. That bitch!

         Everyone is starring at me and my sodden dress. My eyes get hot - not from sadness, from anger. I come here to be a good person and I get orange juice on my clothes. i start trembling a bit. I was furious.

         "Fallon... are you alright?" she asks, putting her hand on my shoulder, acting as if she had empathy. 

        I shrug her hand off my shoulder, and turn to face everyone before running out of the room, and finding the closes bathroom. I had to find my Dad, and I had to leave. This obviously wasn't the place for me.