I Love You

A/N Angst, my dear friends, is sometimes needed. Bring the tissues and hope you enjoy.

----Jim POV----

This wasn't suppose to happen.

Then again, I'm sure that's what every one thinks when they carry their dying friend across a slippery hill, trying to move as fast as they can from rapid gun fire without sending themselves and their friend down a mud slide.

It's not like I hadn't thought something couldn't go wrong. I've been doing this for a long time, so of course I wasn't exactly hoping for a mission to go off without a hitch for once. I was not, however, prepared for it to go straight downhill so fast.

One minute me and Spock, along with this poor engineer named James Gillman, who unfortunately didn't make it, beamed down onto the island, had five seconds to wonder why it's rivers were a light pink, then all of a sudden was attacked by savage tribal creatures from the trees.

Just another day with the Enterprise, I guess.

A groan coming from my shoulder brought me out of my thoughts, causing me to squeeze one of the legs that were wrapped around my waist, hoping it gave some comfort to the Vulcan as I skilfully continued running down the hill, the harsh rain plastering my face and body.

The screams of the natives were still behind us, a little quieter than they were just a moment ago, but whether that was because of the growing winds or my running, I wasn't sure.

With a frantic look around the area, I searched out anywhere I could hide me and my companion. I was getting slower, and Spock would freeze to death if we stayed out in the cold rain much longer.

So, with a grunt of effort, and catching a glimpse of a small hole underneath a large tree trunk, I plunged myself, and Spock, down into the unknown darkness. Pulling the shivering Vulcan closer to me, making sure nothing of his or mine stuck out in the open for anyone to see.

The screams and shouts of the natives came closer and closer, I could feel Spock tense up, until they were right on top of us. I felt my heart stop, stared unblinkingly at one of the creatures foot, holding my breath and getting ready to push Spock behind me if need be. Then, not even seven seconds of them stopping near the tree Spock and I had taken refuge, they barreled on, causing a relieved sigh to escape my mouth.

Another minute later, just to be sure, I whispered into Spocks ear, "I saw a cave not too far from here. Now that they're gone, we can probably make shelter there, okay?"

My chest tightened as the Vulcan only nodded in response, his eyes tightly shut, lips blue and shivering. I had to get him warmer, I had to deal with the green blood oozing from his stomach, causing my already high anxiety to skyrocket even more.

Taking a shaky breathe, I carefully crawled over Spock, gingerly sticking my head. Once I knew the coast was clear, I hurriedly got to my feet, helped Spock onto my back once again, then made my way to the cave.

--------

"You're going to be okay, Spock," I insisted, already knowing that Spock wouldn't have trouble hearing what I was saying over the pouring rain.

My hands had been and still were running up and down Spocks arms, legs, anything that needed warming up really. We weren't able to make a fire since we didn't know how far or close the enemy was, so we'll have to deal with this till morning.

The wound that had almost made me faint just a moment ago was now clumsily wrapped up with half of my shirt, the rain water had cleaned some dirt off the wound, but Spock needed immediate care that we just didn't have.

I had already tried signalling the Enterprise far too many times to count, but knew it was hopeless. The storm was just too big and Spock needed me right now. I didn't have time to waste it on hoping somehow, someone from the Enterprise got my message.

My gaze met back with Spocks, finding that he was looking worse by the minute. A noise emitted in the back of my throat, a mix between a whimper and a choking noise.

Spocks eyes softened at the noise, his shaking hands cupping my cheeks, letting out a breath as his body trembled, then gently placed his cold lips on my forehead.

That's when I lost it. The tears that had welled up in my eyes fell almost immediately as a quiet sob escaped my throat. As Spock and I drew closer, I shoved my face in the fabric of his shirt, holding onto him as tightly as I could.

Over the roaring of rain and thunder, I wouldn't have been able to hear the pained whisper had I not been laying on the person who spoke it, "I love you, T'hay'la."

Funny, how you'd never expect the Captain and First Officer of such a grand ship as The Enterprise to be shaking in a dark, cold cave on an unfamiliar planet crying and repeating I love you's to each other.

The next morning, to my utter relief, I had woken up in the Medbay. Bones had been there when I first opened my eyes, and had calmly explained that after the storm, they were able to pinpoint our location and beam both me and Spock back to the ship.

What I found strange about this was that Bones spoke so calmly and didn't once mention how stupid our decision was. Just stood there, his hands clasped in front of him as he bounced on the balls of his feet. Immediately I asked what was wrong.

When the doctor looked me in the eyes, I wish I hadn't. "Jim," he had whispered, agony now plainly visible all across his face. That's all he had to say before I bowed my head, already breathing heavily, trying to steady my heartbeat.

It hadn't worked. Anyone who was in or was walking by the medbay would be met with screams of pure pain. Bones had come over to my screaming form and collapsed against me, his knees on the hard floor as we both hung on to each other.

It had been three days since then, and I now found most of my days in the garden we had onboard. We were to have shore leave early, to mourn over the lose of The Enterprise's best First Officer. I had already informed Spock's parents about what happened, and was actually going to visit them once we docked.

Sitting there in the grass, spinning the silver ring that hadn't left it's finger since the day it was put upon it, I revisited old memories with me and Spock. The first day I met him, the day we had our first fist fight (I punched him first but it got kinda out of control after that), our first kiss, the day Spock kissed me on the bridge, in public, and the day just before he died.

Bones wouldn't agree with me thinking about him all the time, since it would be harder for me to move on, but I had to think about him. I missed him so much already, it was like someone was repeatedly ripping out my organs out of my body then stapling them back in.

But sitting there, wallowing in my own sadness, I gingerly took off the silver ring and studied it like I'd done multiple times throughout the time Spock has been dead.

After a moment of quiet sniffles, I placed the ring in front of my crossed legs, burying it with soil and grass, speaking in a whisper, "Goodbye.... T'hay'la."