20| Past to Present

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I watch as Damien knocks the soldier down at every attempt he makes to get up or to fight back. He was like a mouse caught in a trap. The soldier becomes fatigued. Damien finally tired of playing with him, places his boot on the soldiers neck. The soldier begins to struggle to breath, he reaches up smacking, grabbing and ripping at Damiens leg. I look up to Damiens face to see he's grinning. What the hell, he's enjoying this. He moves the tip of his boot to the soldiers chin, pushing his face into the ground. He bends down grabbing the soldiers left arm, sharply twisting in opposite directions. I could almost hear the crack of his neck from here. Damien holds him for a second and then drops him as his arms fall lifelessly.

He turns around and looks directly at me in the window making me flinch. He knew I was watching? He tilts his head to the right, signalling me to move away from the window, not wanting me to catch attention. I frown and walk away from the window.

I pace back and forth for what feels like hours. I look at the clock and hunch over. It's only been twenty two minutes. I roll my eyes and flop down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I could hear every sound of the battle that was going on just outside my home. The yelling, the fighting. Sounds that I'm sure will cause me future nightmares. I lay in my thoughts for quite some time until a knock at my door pulls me away.

I still at the sound. Who could that be? Everyone is outside. Did someone get into the house? Do they know I'm here!? My mind rolls through the many possible scenerios. "Who's there?" I yell. A moment of silence. "It's me Aryah..." I hear Mikayla's muffled voice through the door. I sit up on the bed. "Come in."

She opens the door queitly and steps in. She rubs her arm awkwardly. "I just wanted to apologize, and thank you and Damien for saving me. I couldn't control what I was doing-" I throw my hand up, signalling for her to stop as I see her becoming increasingly flustered. She stares at me with watery eyes, tears threatening to fall. "Please say something." she whispers.

I give her a warm smile. "It's okay, he controlled me once too. There was nothing you could do." I shrug. She nods appreciatively at me. "Was what you said true?" I question her hesitantly. Mikayla looks at the ground sadly. "Not all of it. We are cousins, sisters really. B-but our family..."

She clears her throat, hesitating to speak. "Our family is not looking for us." It's obvious she's fighting to hold back tears. I pull her hand and bring her to sit beside me. "I've been avoiding this conversation; afraid of what you might say..." She nods giving me a pained smile. "I understand, we don't have to if you're not ready." She places her hand over mine. "No, it's time." I inhale sharply. "I've been having these dreams of fire and someone yelling at me to run." I feel her hand stiffen over mine. "That would be my voice..." My eyes shoot up to hers and she sighs as she continues. "Let's start from the beginning..."

"We both lived with your parents. My mother passed during birth and my father died when the war began. Since then we had been the best of friends. About three years in, your parents abruptly picked up and moved to a cabin deep into the forest. They gave us no notice, the dragged us away from our home and stuck us in the middle of no where. At this point we were old enough to know something was wrong. We both felt uneasy and unsure, is probably the best way to describe it. Your mother pulled you into a room and sat you down, finally telling you exactly what was going on. They were looking for lights and you happened to be one of them. Your dad, my uncle, pulled me into another room and discussed the importance of protecting you. I wasn't sure how to feel, afraid? knowing you were such an incredible target. I knew I had to be strong.

Your mother spent years training you on everything it is to be an essence. She was not an essence herself, but her grandmother had been and had taught her some things as a young girl.