12: Not a Cultivator

Sen Jia and Sen Shuai walk together a little behind the small family. Sen Jia notices the sideways glance and raised brow from Sen Shuai. 

"Cultivation mumbo jumbo?" Sen Shuai comments.

"Yeah, about that...truth is I'm not a cultivator. Surprise," he laughed. Sen Jia's laugh was light and pleasing to the ear. He didn't seem the least bit concerned about revealing this information to Sen Shuai.

"It was noticeable." Sen Shuai was in a very good mood, he even felt like teasing Sen Jia.

Sen Jia hid half his face from anyone else's view. Only Sen Shuai could see his cute pout, he even stuck the tip of his pink tongue out at Sen Shuai for a moment.

"What are you saying? My act is flawless." Sen Jia held his held high in a lofty manner.

"Sometimes."

Sen Jia narrows his eyes at Sen Shuai giving his shoulder a light shove. He decides against continuing to explain how wrong little Shuai is since he has something else he wants to discuss.

"Anyway, I've modified the jade scroll so we can use it to communicate in case we get separated or want to have a secret conversation. Just focus your thoughts strongly, you'll get the feel for it quickly. Try it now."

(Jia.) Sen Shuai succeeds with little effort.

{Oh, you did it. Are you receiving my response?}

(Yes.)

"Little Shuai you must be a genius, you caught on so fast." Sen Jia was full of honest praise.

(Why travel with them?) Sen Shuai flicks his sleeve in the direction of the small family, he is obviously dissatisfied with the company.

{We are unraveling a mystery little Shuai. Be patient}

Sen Shuai merely raises an eyebrow at Sen Jia.

(What mystery?)

{Your mystery of course little Shuai.}

(I have no mystery.)

{You do. You have a murder mystery full of conspiracy and power struggles.}

(Father killed me. No mystery.)

{Nonsense! After spending all that time, effort and resources to raise you, he just casually killed you for no particular reason? There is definitely more to it.}

Sen Shuai contemplated what Sen Jia said for the rest of the day. He wasn't wrong. Father had invested a great deal in raising him. The man wasn't one to be wasteful so maybe there was some mystery to be solved.

A certain little maiden has been sneaking glances at the two. She often has a faint blush and kept trying to hide her smile behind her sleeve. 

Too bad little Shuai didn't have any interest in you, little girl. Sen Jia thinks, assuming the girl fancies the handsome Sen Shuai.

He overhears the father scold her lightly for rudely gaping at the young gentlemen so much. 

"I'm sorry, father. They are such a cute couple, especially how sweetly they flirt. I couldn't help but watch a bit." The daughter responds with a small giggle.

Sen Jia was stunned and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. 

A/N Turns out the maiden he tried to set Sen Shuai up with is a fujoshi who has shipped them the whole journey. Such a good girl. (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ