Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

At the sound of his nickname, he narrowed his eyes and kept a strong eye on the blonde guy. “Don't you have someones bitch work to be doing, Eric? Or did he give you the day off?”

When neither the blonde guy—who's name I guess was Eric—or Haydn said anything, I took another bite of my sandwich and watched in anticipation to see what would happen next. I knew it wasn't good to support the possible fight that was going to take place, but since it had gotten the attention off of me, I was more than accepting of the new found situation.

But since the universe didn't want me to be happy, Eric grinned and turned his attention back to me. “I'm not the one who has to sit around and watch their little girlfriend so nothing happens to her.”

That's when all eyes turned to me and I stopped chewing. “What?” And of course, the small piece of my sandwich fell out of my mouth, causing Andrew to chuckle a little bit.

That didn't stop Eric from continuing though. “That's right, baby cakes. He's here to protec-”

His words were cut off when Haydn sprang out of his chair and walked over to him. “If you knew what was good for you, you'd stop right there.”

Taking it as a challenge, Eric looked away from me and back at Haydn with an even bigger grin than before on his face. “Why? Don't want her to know?”

“I said shut up!” And then before anyone could see what happened, Haydn raised his fist and hit Eric right in the face. What surprised me the most was that Eric didn't even do anything to defend himself. He simply straightened himself out and muttered a few words before walking out of the cafeteria. Everyone stayed quiet for a while, and it wasn't until Haydn made eye contact with me that the whispering began again. Part of me wanted to go up to him and question him about what Eric was talking about, but I couldn't bring myself to move from my seat. He seemed to notice my dilemma because he walked over to me and all but dragged me out of the cafeteria. I shot Andrew a pleading look, but he simply picked at my grapes and left me alone to suffer.

Everyone started to speak again once we were out of the room, and that's when I pulled out of Haydn's grasp. I had opened my mouth to say something, but I quickly shut it when he looked down at me with an aggravated look in his eyes. “That wasn't supposed to happen. . .”

“What wasn't supposed to happen? What was he talking about?” Not answering me, he turned on his heal and began to walk down the hall. I was going to let him go, but since he dragged me out here, I knew that there was something he wanted to tell me. So, being the persistent little person that I was, I followed after him and pushed him against the locker; surprising the both of us. “Listen here, mister. I went through a break in, being chased, several hours of questioning and now I have some random guy telling me that I need to be protected, so don't you dare walk away from me without telling me what the hell is going on!”

Still in shock, he shook his head and pushed himself up; making his way slowly back over to me. “You really should be asking your brother about this. It's his fault that you're in danger in the first place.”

Raising a brow at him, I crossed my arms and poked my hip out to the side. He laughed a little bit, and I noticed that he was pretty much ignoring my glare altogether. “Are you going to elaborate or just stand here like the nuisance that you are?”

“Whoa, someone's on her period.” Rolling his eyes, he took a few steps forward, managing to pin me against the lockers as he placed his arms on either said of my face. I could feel my breathing pick up, and I couldn't help but stare at his lips as he hovered over me. He seemed to notice this though because he grinned and brought his face closer to mine. “What's the matter, Adriana? Are you not used to having a guy this close to you?”

Trying my hardest not to let him get to me, I closed my eyes and brought my hands up to his chest to push him off, only to have him push against me even harder and bring his lips to my neck. My eyes shot open at this, but I couldn't let him get to me. I needed answers and I was going to get them. “W-why do I need protection? Who's coming after me?”

“Why is it so important?”

Glaring, I found some strength and attempted to push him away, but that turned out to be a failed attempt. So, since he wasn't going to pull away, I simply continued on with the conversation. “It's important because my life is at stake. I deserve to know.”

That was when he thought it would be a good idea to let his teeth slowly glide against the open skin that was on my neck, and I couldn't stop the moan that came out. “You don't seem to want answers. You seem like you like this a lot more.”

Can't say that I agree with you, Lover Boy. “Damn it, Haydn,” finding all the strength that I could, I pushed him away from me and calmed my breathing down. “I don't want to hook up with you in a random school hallway and I sure as hell don't want to make out with you in one either. Just tell me what's going on.” Letting a frown find it's way to my face, I looked up at him and bit my lip. “Please?”

He looked at me for a long while before sighing and sticking his hands in his pockets. “I can't tell you yet, but soon. You're going to have to trust me though.”

Thinking back to the previous week, I felt my frown grow even deeper. He had managed to break into my house, sleep in my room and then deny it for a few days—making me believe that I was crazy, finger and make out with a teacher, show up at the hospital and then left when I wouldn't kiss him. Nothing about him rang 'Trust Me', but I knew if I wanted to find out what was going on, I didn't really have a choice.

Of course, I could always go on pretending I didn't know what was going on and just hope that whatever danger was coming my way would just go away. Even I knew that that wouldn't get me very far, and I'd probably be dead before I had the chance to blink, but I had never been in this kind of situation. I actually thought it only happened in movies and stuff like that because it never happened to me or anyone I knew, but I guess doors are opened when you hang out with the one guy in the school who has a criminal record. . .

Taking a quick look up at him, I noticed that he was watching me a little too closely, and I knew that the only way out of this was to do the one thing he wanted me to.

I had to trust him.

Going against my gut, I took a deep breath and stuck out my hand for him to shake, only get an odd look back in return. “What are you doing?”

“Just decided to shake on it. I'll trust you for now, but no promises that it'll last.” Keeping my hand outstretched, I waited for him to shake it, and was actually a bit surprised when he finally did. I was fighting back a smile the entire time, but instead of entertaining him with a smile, I simply turned on my heal and walked in the direction of the bathroom. There was no way in hell that I was going back to the cafeteria, but after what happened, I'm pretty sure that walking around by myself wasn't the smartest idea.

So, after using the bathroom and washing my hands, I scurried out of the bathroom and right into someone. I had just opened my mouth to say sorry until I looked up and saw who it was. My mouth quickly shut and I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat.

What does he want? 

___________________________________________________________

Authors Note:

Anoooooooother new character :3 Aside from that, the plot is begin to open up a bit :D It's now out in the open that Adriana is in some form of danger--which I'm sure we all knew about when she was chased from her house a few chapters ago. . .

Um. . . Do you guys think that she should really be trusting Haydn right now? Or do you think that he's just up to something? Five votes and three comments before I continue : )

- Taleesa <3

PS: I was starting to lose interest in this story, but I didn't want to delete it like I did all of my other ones, so I'll keep writing and though it might be short, I will definitely finish it : )