Part 23

I'm predicting that this book will have about 30 parts. Maybe a little less. I'll try and make it about 30. However I'll warn you when we're near the end so you're not hit out of the blue with those two words, six letters that we all dread...

*whispers* the... end...

*shivers*

---

"Connor." You answer, as if you've only just realised it and saying it for the first time. "I like Connor."

You're laid on your couch, completely numb. Your brain seems to have blocked out all emotion to block out what happened yesterday. Needless to say, it could've gone better. Sumo is laid on your legs, making not only your brain but your feet numb too.

After a moment, you hear a knock at your door and Sumo hops up and trots over to it. You swing your legs around and go to stand up but as you try to stand on your numb feet, you crash to the floor and knock your coffee table over.

"Ouch..." You squeak to yourself. You scramble up, using your couch for support and quickly push your coffee table back up.

You lean on the wall and limp to the door, hoping it wasn't anyone important. As you open the door, a familiar pair of murky blue eyes meet yours.

"Oskar! Hi." You say, trying to act casual.

"Y/N! Are you ok? I heard a crash." Oskar asks with concern. "Did a bomb drop or something? Did you die?"

"Yes Oskar. A literal bomb went off and I actually died." You say sarcastically.

"Oh. Rip. Can I come in?" He asks.

"Uh sure." You say, slightly confused and letting the door open. Oskar walks in and Felix follows behind.

Did he remember yesterday? Why is he acting so natural.

"Look I... I kinda wanted to apologise for yesterday and... I don't want things to be awkward between us so I thought maybe we could just pretend yesterday didn't happen? Because I get it. You don't love me. And I'll get over it... Eventually."

You laugh a little. "You don't need to apologise." You shove him lightly. "If you just wanna forget yesterday then we can if you want." It'd be best for the both of you.

You kneel down and fuss with Felix and Sumo waddles in, wanting in on the fuss too.

Oskar laughs. "What a jealous boy." He chuckles as he squats down in front of Sumo and gives him attention. Oskar then stands back up and stretches slightly. "Do you wanna do something today? Maybe go out somewhere or..." Oskar looks about. "Finish painting?" He chuckles.

You look at the wall. The paint job that you and Connor started. Though you will never admit it, you feel like it'd be wrong to finish it with someone else, or even by yourself. It's a job for you and Connor. The memories that go along with that wall are priceless.

"I really don't want to finish that today. Effort." You say to Oskar. "We can go out somewhere if you want?"

"Sure! A bakery nearby recently opened, why don't we check it out? Get some dank pastries." Oskar suggests.

You chuckle. "Only you would call a pastry dank. I think I've already been there actually. Is it on the corner of Freemont Street?"

Oskar nods. "That's pretty rude actually. You've already had the experience. I feel less superior now."

You put your shoes on and the two of you leave your house. You begin to walk to the bakery, Felix and Sumo following behind happily.

"Oh yeah something weird happened a few days back." You say to Oskar as you walk in the cool mid day air. The streets are busy today with cars driving past, the busses busier than ever, filled to the brim with androids and people.

"Oh yeah? How weird? Like... On a scale of 1 to alien abduction."

"Well... You remember Sid right?"

As you say his name, the atmosphere instantly changes as if you flipped a switch. Even the dogs behind you seem to lower their heads and walk slower when they hear his name.

Oskar shivers visibly. "Unfortunately."

He... Came to my house the other day." You explain. "He was really mad about the fact that I was ignoring you and then he brought up the fact that he 'really liked me' and that it was wrong of me to cut him out of my life."

"That's really weird." Oskar mumbles. Whenever the topic is shifted to Sid (or anyone who makes Oskar uncomfortable for that matter), Oskar's whole demeanor changes. He becomes a completely different person. His tone is quieter and he doesn't crack any jokes.

"What's weird is how he found out we stopped talking." You say. "Did you talk to him?"

Oskar looks at you with a raised eyebrow. "Do you really think that I'd want to speak to him?" He asks rhetorically. "But... My dad speaks to him. He goes to my dad for business sometimes."

"Business? You mean Sid is into illegal gambling?" You say, surprised.

"Oh no. No no no. Sid goes to my dad to offer him business." Oskar explains.

"What?" You ask, shocked. "What kind of business?"

Oskar shrugs. "Not a clue. I'm only just finding out about this part of my dad's life I don't know all the details yet."

As you approach the quaint little bakery, the smell of freshly baked goodies resonate throughout Freemont Street and you feet your mouth salivate. On the window of the building there is a large sticker of a cupcake and underneath is the writing "Eva's Goodies." In pastel pink. Underneath is a small sign that says "All pets welcome.".

Oskar breathes in heavily through his nose and then sighs as he breathes out. "That smell..." He breathes.

You push open the pastel door and the little golden bell rings. It's such a sweet, delicate sound and it matches the bakery perfectly.

Oskar let's out an involuntary, louder than expected groan as he sniffs in again. "Ugh it's heavenly!" He moans.

"Oskar. Dude." You laugh, nudging him.

"Hold on just a tick! I'll be right there!" That same cheery voice from before tells you. You hear the click of an oven door closing and that same happy face from before. "Hello again." She smiles as she sees you. She looks up at Oskar and her smile slowly fades into a mesmerised expression. One of wonder. At first, Oskar thinks she's staring because of his birthmark but then he realises she isn't looking at the large coffee coloured mark that masks half of his face like some sort of DC villain, but she's looking into his eyes. "I don't think we've met." She says.

Oskar seems to blush slightly for whatever reason. "Nope." He laughs. "I'm Oskar."

"I'm Evadine. But you can call me Eva." She reaches out a flour covered hand and then quickly snatches it away. "Sorry." She apologises and then wipes it down on her blue apron before holding it back out.

Oskar shakes her hand.

She then catches sight of Sumo and Felix and then squeaks with glee. "Oh my goodness Sumo brought a friend!"

You're slightly surprised at the fact that Eva can remember Sumo's name.

"What's this fellas name? Is he yours?" She asks as she walks from behind the counter over to the dogs who begin to wag their tails excitedly.

"His name's Felix. He's mine." Oskar explains. "He's a pain in the butt though. Only listens to Y/N."

Eva then looks embarrassed. "Oh are you two a couple?"

"No! We're best friends." He explains.

"And... I'm still here." You say. The other two seem to be lost in each other and they're barely even looking at you. You become invisible.

"Sorry." Oskar says to you.

Eva takes a couple of treats out of the jar and gives one to Felix then one to Sumo who are both very happy with this.

She then walks back behind the counter and straightens out her apron before speaking. "So what can I get you?"

"Your number?" Oskar suggests.