Everything Will Be Absolutely Fine

Start from the beginning

Grinning at my own achievement, I shove everything into my bag, kicking my heels off and putting them in too, putting my trainers on instead.

Soon enough, I'm pulling up in the drive. All the lights are out downstairs, and I realise that Mum must have gone to bed. I manage to sneak into the house and upstairs to my room without disturbing anyone.

I climb into bed, still tasting Robb and the cocktails on my lips. His scent is lingering all over me like a blanket, and I breathe him in. I have to admit I love it.

***

"I can see your butt," Grace announces, pointing to amplify her point. Cringing, I pull the leotard down again, but it doesn't seem to cover anything.

"Is that better?" I ask desperately, and Grace begins sniggering, shaking her head. I tug down on the fabric again, but it doesn't seem to be giving me any more coverage.

"Not at all," Grace replies, and I groan. It's Friday night, and the pole competition is tomorrow. We have no time or resources to get another costume.

Because I'm doing one of Dixie's old routines, she loaned me her old costume. It's a black velour bodysuit with a silver diamante floral design across one shoulder.

It's a beautiful costume, and would be great, except for the fact Dixie must have been four years younger than me when she first wore it, because it's tiny, and I'm worried it's not covering enough.

"Well there's nothing we can do about it now," I sigh, sitting down on the bed. Grace turns to me, her legs crossed, and pokes me in the arm.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" Grace asks me, and I shrug. "I would be if I were you. All those people, staring at me. The pressure, because you have to win, otherwise there won't be a club anymore-!"

"That's not really helpful, Grace," I say, and begin drumming my fingers on the side of the bed. "Maybe I should run the routine before Mum gets home from work."

"I would if I were you," Grace replies chirpily, and I wish I had never gone to the pole club in the first place. Instantly I regret thinking that, because I love Milo and Dixie almost as much as I love Grace, even though I haven't known them that long.

I stand to my feet and begin walking through the pole routine. Thankfully, most of it is just twirling and elegant dancing, but there are a few moves in there that worry me (including the one that made me fall flat on my face), made worse by the fact I don't have a pole to rehearse them on.

"You're doing that wrong. You're meant to twirl to the left," Grace points out, and I groan, re-doing the last couple of steps. I'm annoyed to find it does makes more sense going to the left.

I keep going, and Grace finds about four more flaws in the routine. "This is it. I'm going to fail. I need to call Milo and tell him that I can't do this," I begin, reaching for my phone, but Grace slaps it out of my hand.

"You're being such a baby. You'll be absolutely fine," Grace informs me, and I reach down to pick my phone up. I realise there's a message from Rob, and I quickly place the phone screen down on my dressing table.

"You're right. I'll get up early tomorrow and start practicing," I agree, and Grace gets up from the bed. She wraps her arms around my waist, the top of her head barely brushing my shoulders. "You're still short."

"At least I'm still growing," Grace grumbles, letting me go. "Good luck tomorrow. Don't mess it up, okay?"

"Okay," I agree, and she leaves my room. When I'm sure she's closed the door, I pick my phone up, and read the message from Robb.