37. The knife dropped

Start from the beginning

"Felt like an eternity," I mumble under my breath. Lin looks at me with questioning eyes, "Huh?"

"Nothing," I say, "Just making sure I'm not losing my mind." She just laughed, her dark brown eyes shined brightly as the midday sun was up in the sky.

"You know?" She moves a little closer so only I can hear her words, "I think everyone goes a little mad, even the most sane looking people can hide the most insane secrets."

I looked at her, she looked down onto her lap. Her last sentence sounded as if she was talking about herself which raises eyebrows.

Everyone was talking amoungst each other while Lin and I sat in silence. I turn my head to glance at her and I see Linny just staring into space with no expression on her face as if she was remembering memories.

____

C H A R L E S

"You sure you don't want dinner?" Caitlyn asks curiously. "You love food what's wrong?"

I look at Caitlyn and gave her a small smile, "I'm still full from lunch, I'll eat later."

"Suit yourself." She shrugged and closed the door to my bedroom, leaving me with my thoughts.

Linny hasn't called, she could be in danger.

I sigh, She's always been in danger ever since she followed me there that night.

Flashback
3 years ago...

"Charles, she's definately not coming back." Linny finalizes, mom left over a 3 weeks ago and Lin know for a fact that she's not coming back.

"It's okay Lin she'll be back, just carry on with your homework and ace those exams." I try smiling at her, aiming to cover up my sadness.

Growing up neither me or Lin knew our fathers, they had both left mom as soon as she announced she was pregnant. I also learned she was in the stripping business because she never finished college.

Linny may only be my half sibling, but I count her as a full sibling and I try to protect her from mom's job. Since Lin turned 16 mom was going to take her to a strip club to get her a job as a stripper but I told her that she was not going to do that.

Unlike me, Linny was a really smart kid. At age 4 she started reading books, at age 8 she started going to the library and read books about computers.

Then at 14 mom bought her her very own computer and Lin never really looked back. A year after she made her first website and stumbled upon a book about hackers.

My sister had a bright future ahead of her.

"Okay Charlie," she sighed and walked up the stairs. I creep into the living room to get my stuff for the fight.

I needed to do this or Linny and I couldn't afford everything we needed.

After I grabbed my duffel bag, I tiptoe to the door. Hoping Lin wouldn't hear, I slide through the small gap between the door and door frame. Then gently shut the door and walk to a nearby  parking-lot. My friend Peter was sitting in his new car with the window down.