26

SKSKSKS YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS CHAPTER.

•••

I was tired, I woke up tired, I ate breakfast tired, I dressed up tired, I hobbled down the stairs tired. If I hadn't clung on to the railing, I would've dived head‐first into the hard wood floor. A concussion was the last thing I needed right now, since I was woozy and dizzy the entire morning. My backpack weighed a hundred pounds, but I sucked it up and walke .  d into the kitchen. My alarm clock was set at five in the morning, and I knew it was all Lucas' fault. It wasn't my fault I was continuously late! Or maybe it was. 

For a cocky, popular teenager, he had nice time management. I pretty much slept through the next two hours so it was 7 by the time I actually woke up. It was 7:30 sharp right now, but I didn't see Lucas anywhere. I knew I had around thirty minutes before school started, but I just couldn't go back to sleep. On the kitchen island, I spotted a sticky note camouflaged onto the counter. My eyes were probably half‐closed when I was eating my cereal so I didn't notice it. I took the note and it was a combination of neat to messy writing. 

The black ink read:

Have to go to school extra early today. Hoping you can walk there (sorry I'm an asshole). It's kind of last minute...so yeah. See you at school.

                       ‐Lucas 

I read the note like ten times, and blinked. Was Lucas making me walk to school for fifteen whole minutes in the foot deep snow? It better be sunny because I was not looking forward to freezing my butt off. I threw the sticky note away and put my jacket hood over my earmuffs. Now I knew why Lucas secretly changed my alarm clock. I understood it was last minute and everything, but why couldn't he have just told me in person? 

I walked to the closet that I rarely used and brought out my mom's scarf. It was soft and patterned with pink, white, and black wool. It smelled like my mom and I missed her. I wrapped it around my face like a muffler, only my eyes visible from my winter attire. I sighed loudly and fished out the keys. Locking the door behind me, I started down the street of my neighbourhood. It was freezing cold, not to mention a howling wind pushing me back as I fought with it. 

I could barely keep my eyes open and I already knew I would be late for school. Again. Trying to make a better impression at school was extremely hard right now, and being tardy wasn't going to help. By the time I reached school, I couldn't feel my ears and nose. If I hadn't known any better, It hought they fell right off as I walked through those heaps of snow, trying to fit my shoes onto the footsteps people already made. Nobody recognized me, which was a good thing. 

I looked like a colourful ninja, a clever disguise that I didn't really plan. After putting my stuff away in my locker, I walked to math class. I made it just before the teacher started taking attendance, so I quietly sat beside Sofia. Nothing changed from yesterday. The rumours were more ridiculous, more people had the nerve to talk where I can clearly hear them, and I got more dirty looks. 

Brigit was truly starring at her job of ruining reputations. I should've never gotten on her bad side. If it was my fault at all. Sofia did whatever to keep my mind off of things, and don't get me wrong, I really did appreciate it. But she was starting to make me feel worse and I needed to put a stop to that.

"Sofia, I told you it's okay," I pronounced. "I will deal with it." The bell rang and I was glad math ended. I didn't see Aspen in class so more curiosity built inside of me. Did something happen between Aspen and Brigit? Or even Aspen and Dexter?

"Maya, look at this," Cyrus said, coming to our desks. He gave me a pamphlet and I already had a bad feeling. 

On the title page, there was a picture of a woman showing her boobs and booty in gym attire, but the face was removed and replaced with...mine. The title read: