25

4 Days Later

 I felt like the suspension went by in a blur, and I got to go back to school today. It was Thursday, a whole three days of school missed and I had no idea what everyone was gonna think of me now. I didn't make it to the movie on Sunday since I had a cold and stayed in bed the entire day. Not like I'm complaining about it.

Pearl came yesterday but I didn't tell her about my suspension. In fact, she didn't know anything at all. She made us a delicious meal, cleaned up everything, and helped us shovel the driveway. I slung my backpack over one shoulder and looked at myself in the mirror.  I sighed, closing my eyes and reopening them. I had my usual brown hair tied up into a ponytail as the waves cascaded down my back. I really did need to get a haircut since the tip reached my waist, but whatever.

The last time I even cared about looking at myself in the mirror was around the beginning of school. Lucas called me from downstairs and I quickly left the bathroom. My fingers started trembling as I climbed down the stairs and met him in the kitchen. He was just wearing his blackwinter jacket over a red t‐shirt. I looked at the Leafs beanie on his head, wondering how I'd look if I wore it.

"Time to go," he said, and I sighed.

"You say that like it's a good thing," I mumbled. He smiled, taking his backpack and pulling the straps over his shoulders. We were in the car in the December winter, cold as usual.

For the past three days, I've been asking him if anything new happened in school. If anyone was talking about me or him in fact. I didn't know whether he didn't want me to worry or he just wanted to annoy me. He didn't utter a word about it. Through the snowy streets to school, I didn't have to worry about hiding myself anymore. Everyone knew about me, some things that were true and some that were not. I put my jaw on my palm, glancing out the cleared window at the students walking on the sidewalk.

"I wonder if I'm still in charge of the Hot Topic section of the newspaper," I mumbled. I didn't even get my hours signed so if I didn't get them, my work would go to a total waste.

"I'm surprised you're worried about that," Lucas said. He paused. "But it's taken care of. I don't even think the school is expecting another article to read tomorrow." 

I rolled my eyes. I'm pretty sure they're twiddling their thumbs anxiously for the next news available. The front of school came into a better view and I braced myself to get out of the car...in front of everyone. Lucas parked the car but I didn't want to get out. He opened my door for me, too, but I was paralysed from head to toe.

"Maya, are you gonna get out yourself or do you want me to do it for you?"

Lucas' options weren't fair. I didn't move or say anything. I just didn't want to go outside. I knew I was acting like a 6‐year‐old baby. Lucas snaked an arm around my back and his other under my knees. He lifted me right out and put me on my feet, closing the door.

"Oh, was that absolutely necessary?" I snapped at his face, my ears perking up when a slow murmur rose from the people around us.

I looked around, my face flushing. Lucas gave me my backpack and I snatched it, sighing. The both of us walked into school. Yes, together. I kept my eyes on the white tiles the whole time, but I could hear the voices around me. I could hear the hissing, the teasing, the hurtful words spill out of their mouths like a can of worms. And I just hate worms.

"It's her!" someone whispered in shock.

"What nerve she had to come back."

"Look, she has the school's hottie right by her side!" A snort came following.