21

i fucking hate wattpad ads. it's so annoying ughhh. i can't even read three chapters in peace

•••

Things kept getting weirder and weirder with Brigit these days, and there was this broken link I couldn't figure out. Obviously we couldn't trust her, but something is definitely running through her mind. I sighed. There was absolutely nothing better than thinking of Brigit as soon as I woke up. Note sarcasm. I got ready for school as usual and waddled down the stairs. I didn't have time for breakfast. I had woken up a little late today, and Lucas was lingering at the front door ready to climb onto his Mercedes Benz. I scowled and walked right by him, waiting at the hood of his car.

"I saved you a granola bar," he said grinning, sitting in the driver's seat. I could hear the tease in his voice and I buckled up in my seat grumpily.

"I didn't get a lot of sleep okay?" I snapped.

"I wonder why since you were pretty much sleeping on me all evening yesterday," he said, starting the engine and backing up onto the road

."Sleeping on...?" I said, furrowing my brows. Everything that happened after school yesterday flushed into my head. I tightened in my seat. "It wasn't even five minutes until I forced myself off of you, and you're the one who wouldn't let me go. So stop acting like a smartass."

"I'm always smart," he said, the corner of his lip curving up. He was so full of himself. "And you even liked it, admit it."

My mouth opened but nothing came out. I was so annoyed with him I didn't know what to say. But I did like it. In a warm kind of way. A feeling I never experienced in a long time. But I didn't, like it as if I was attracted to him. Like, no way. Well...fine, maybe a little.

"No," I said, as we stopped at an intersection. He looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "No, I didn't like it. 'Cause I was fucking freezing over!"

"Such a snappy mouth," he said, shaking his head. He didn't say anything after that, and neither did I.

I just couldn't help myself whenever we talked. I just had to argue. He dropped me at the catwalk as usual and I grabbed my backpack. Pressing my winter headphones to my ear, I stepped outside. A hand shot out and fingers wrapped around my forearm. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Lucas never had the habit of telling me to stay rather than showing it.

"What?" I said, looking back at him.

"Everyone pretty much knows about us now," he said. Based on the expression I had on my face, I must've looked like an idiot because he let go and brushed through his hair. "Everyone knows I babysit you and they know a separation had occurred in the cafeteria."

"What's your point?" I said, squinting my eyes from the snow that was falling on my eyelids.

"You don't have to walk through the catwalk anymore," he said.

I widened my eyes a bit and sighed. "No. I have to keep doing this. I just can't allow myself to enter the school with‐"

"That doesn't matter."

"Yes it does."

"How‐"

"What's your problem?" I interrupted.

He closed his eyes, sat back, shook his head and drove off. I looked at the empty spot where that car had been waiting a while ago. Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh. But I still couldn't go into the school with him. I wasn't ready yet, to receive all those surprised stares and not to mention, brew Brigit's anger and jealousy if she saw me with him. I couldn't risk it, especially now. Now that she became a mystery.