15

ugh i wanna finish this book so baddd 

•••

School for the past several weeks was definitely different and my math class also got a lot quieter. Zac and Becky spent most of their time sitting together, where Aspen looked composed and doing her work. If anything, she had a better posture like she drank a jug of confidence every morning. It was probably the first time I found peace in math class. 

"I'm surprised you didn't ask," Sofia whispered. We were working at her table on a math worksheet our teacher gave us. I gave her aconfused look and she glanced at Aspen. "I promised I would tell you about the break up." 

"Oh, right," I said. But part of me really didn't want to know what happened at the Halloween party. I knew it was somewhat my fault, and I had no intention of breaking them up. I was trying to do the exact opposite. Talking to Dexter wasn't such a good idea because he didn't like listening to other people. I just didn't think before I acted, and I should've. Cyrus wasn't too affected with the break up since he was going about his business, but Zac and Becky wouldn't stop whispering to each other and glaring at Aspen.  

I had no idea why they were angry at her. Or they might've been angry at Dexter, too, but I didn't know why. I asked Cyrus why they were all moody all of a sudden, and he said Sofia and I should take a peek inside the cafeteria to find out. It was true, Sofia and I were completely oblivious to anything that happened in there. For me, I just couldn't tolerate the drama caused there, watching people swarm around the "popular" table and having to see them act all immature.  

After the next two periods, I dashed out of my classroom as soon as the bell rang. I met Sofia in front of the cafeteria and we waited until Cyrus came so we didn't go in alone. Well actually, I was the one was uncomfortable so Sofia stood with me.  

"Was it really that bad?" I asked her. "Was it scary?" 

"I'll tell you in a while, be patient," she answered. Cyrus came over with Zac and Becky. 

"Hey, destined to be a loser," Zac said, smirking. "Long time no talk, huh?" I rolled my eyes as Zac and Becky walked by and into the cafeteria.   

Cyrus made us walk in and he nodded towards their usual table. But I only saw Lucas, Dexter, and now Zac sitting there. Sofia suck in her breath and looked at another table across the room. That was where Becky was heading, that's where Aspen and Brigit were. I think I know what happened here; the boys and girls of the popular group split up when Dexter and Aspen broke up. That's why Zac and Becky were pissed since they can't be with each other at lunch. They were an on going, healthy couple after all. 

"This is all my fault isn't it?" I said, looking at Dexter and Aspen glaring at each other from across the room. Cyrus patted me on the shoulder and joined his boy‐group. My eyes shifted to Lucas but I didn't think he noticed me. 

"Hey, do you want to sit in the cafeteria for now?" Sofia said. "We can find an empty table."  

And so we did. We chose a table in between the girl and boy group so we got a view of both of them. Something I also realized were the other people in the caf. They were abnormally quiet and uncertainly looking at the split group. Was it just me, or did they look like they were anticipating something to happen?A group of boys trotted by and I noticed one of them was Stiles. He didn't spot us. It was like we were just invisible to the rest of the student body. After we were done with lunch, Sofia started to explain what happened the other day. 

"So, Aspen had gone off running to the soccer poles and all of us saw Dexter running behind her," she said quietly.

"From a distance we couldn't hear much or see a lot, but it all happened when Aspen ran back to Brigit. I still didn't know why Aspen ran to Brigit for help or comfort, but Brigit was down right angry at Dexter. They both kind of bashed on him and that's when the other boys, Zac and Cyrus, came to help him out. Becky didn't choose any side, but I saw her trying to stop the fight overall. Brigit and Aspen started to talk about things like how all boyfriends can be such assholes and how they just cheat on us. And you can obviously tell she was referring to her own break up with Lucas."