Epilogue

"We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death."

- David Sarnoff

Poe sat back in his desk chair as he sipped from the liberal pour that he had not held back on in any way.

Life as he knew it had certainly become far more interesting when his search for calm boredom had utterly proven to have failed him yet again.

His eyes shifted to the open jars that he had been warned would be there as his new pets had been freed to roam as they otherwise pleased.

Lycosa tarantula...

The mere fact that they were not your average run of the mill tarantula spiders at all, but were better known as tarantula wolf spiders had initially amused him, when he considered the irony of his experiences with lycans in most any form of late.

That they also happened to be rather treacherously venomous only made for more interest with his inherent fear that he would have to suppress if he were to avoid a bite that may in turn bring with it rather unpleasant consequences even to him.

It was seemingly appropriate that a vampire would choose a venomous spider for him to learn from.

Valeria's parting words once she had finished educating him on his new pets were of no help whatsoever.

"Bear in mind, that which does not kill you will undoubtedly make you stronger..."

With a resigned sigh, he rose and did something that he had never thought that he would when he sat on the floor with his back to the wall and placed both hands out palm up to either side.

Eyes closed and head back he took a deep breath to calm himself while he tried to do whatever it was that he was supposed to when the spiders apparently communicated with him.

It had been made abundantly clear that they would not speak nor otherwise understand if he spoke to them directly but their apparent rudimentary sensory methods could be manipulated in such a way that he would learn how to translate accordingly.

And to think not all that long ago he would have claimed in all seriousness that the only things that might have otherwise made him nervous were spiders.

Karma was indeed the heartless many legged bitch that he had met on more than one occasion.

It was not long until he sensed Zeus appear to one side while Apollo approached from the other as if hunting for prey in some sort of tandem approach.

Each slowly approached a hand and for the first time in his life Poe did not flinch once as they had crawled on and slowly began to make their way up his arms.

"Boys it would appear that there may be certain people somewhere out there that might come to cause us grief in the near future ..." Poe began for his own sake rather than his new pets, "... but we also now have a plan that although I'm not quite certain that it will work in its entirety, once we put things in motion it should bear fruit of some sort."

The spiders had each managed to reach a shoulder where they appeared to settle in as if having made themselves comfortable in the process.

"But if I have anything to say to them, it would be one thing and one thing only."

As carefully as he could so as not to dislodge his charges, Poe moved to resume his seat and took a sip as they did whatever it was that spiders did while they waited patiently for whatever it was that spiders waited for.

The outer door of his office had purposely been left wide open as one hand gently rested on the butt of his unstrapped revolver while he stared off into the darkness of his quiet town.

A lair of sorts that even his pets could appreciate as they waited for whatever prey may wander in for a visit.

"Game on ... game so fucking on ..."