Chapter V - Dhampyre One-oh-One

"But I do believe in the paranormal, that there are things our brains just can't understand."

- Art Bell

Poe had to admit that Tessa's withering glare had been well worth his indulgence with subterfuge.

Her efforts were successful as well with her choice of a rather elegant sleeveless black gown with soft gloves that reached just past her elbows.

"You look very nice, thank you for having joined me for dinner." Poe offered, barely able to hide the humor at her expense.

"Cheating is not appreciated." Tessa politely seethed as she looked around the empty dining room of the Long Branch. "Dates do not usually involve the eating of dinner in an otherwise empty dining room."

"Did not cheat ..." Poe replied as he moved to select plates from a nearby cart and carefully set hers and then his upon the table. "I merely wanted a companion for dinner and you wanted a date."

Once he had managed to uncork the wine bottle, he carefully poured Merlot into both glasses before he pulled her chair out with clearly chauvinistic flair and ever gently eased her in once Tessa had taken her seat before Poe moved to settle into his own seat where he gestured toward her steak with his knife.

"Had yours left a little bloody, in case you were used to it that way ..."

Her glare softened some as she finally managed to crack a smile in appreciation before she raised her glass in mock toast.

"To the victor ... would have gone the spoils ..." She offered in not so subtle tease.

"You spoil?" He mused having tried to keep a straight face while he chewed his steak.

She simply sat and looked at him before she carefully removed her gloves to start her meal.

"This is ... rather good." She observed with some amazement. "Please tell me that you didn't cook this yourself."

He laughed. "Jake offered his best cuts as a favor and this was his doing not mine."

As they continued to eat in silence, Tessa eventually had to shake her head and reward him with a smile. "We were both right, dining with a date is much better than dining alone."

When finished and Poe had removed the plates, she watched while he lit his pipe and leaned back to relax in his chair.

"I imagine it gets rather lonely and quiet up there." He offered as a truce of sorts. "Or does she keep you busy enough not to notice."

"There are moments to enjoy where you can find them." The young dhampyre replied before she sipped her wine. "You never did answer my question."

"Which one...?" Poe asked with some confusion.

"How old is it that you really think that I am...?" Tessa's raised brow was accent to the mused dare.

In answer he stood and motioned for her to stand as well.

When Poe stepped away from the table, he walked around her in thought several times as he smoked his pipe, occasionally having stooped to closely study and gently caress and pat her calves as Tessa sighed and rolled her eyes.

Once they had resumed their seats the glare was back. "Was all that really necessary?"

"Normally I'd have checked the color of your tongue and perhaps how you fashioned a saddle but I figured that would have been pushing it."