VII

Heya!! Its been ages but i hope you like it!!

Soojin grinned to herself as she sneaked back into the castle via the window, after spending the last couple of hours in the woods with Chenle, who had spent the night explaining the stars and constellations in the night sky, and the stories behind them all.

Yes, he was one of magic, but Soojin, being not of a high class upbringing didn't have a very detailed education, so she asked to be taught all she could, reading she just about was getting the hand of, thanks to Siyeon.

She looked back up at the sky smiling again to herself.

There was no hour she loved more than this hour, just before the dawn in Spring. It was the darkest it was at any point in the night, it was before any of the servants had to get to work and the people of the castle were all soundly asleep, except from maybe the prisoners and the occasional insomniac.

She found herself in the staircase to one of the towers, a space that most of the staff and inhabitants had forgotten actually had a room at the top, but it had been discovered by a tumbling Aera at the age of 11, who had showed it to Soojin and Haechan the second she could.

Soojin had tons of memories from up here of when she was younger, even before she became Aera's maidservant, she had always been her friend, she had been six and Haechan had been eight, Aera eleven. She didn't have as many duties then, and she would come up here almost daily.

It came to her mind as she walked up the marble steps that she hadn't been up here in over two years, she had gotten so busy she almost forgot about it. She had seen Aera scuttle up these steps by herself quite often, on the other hand. But Aera had more time on her hands than she did in the long run.

She pushed open the white wooden door, the green and pink flowers painted delicately on it fading, she had assumed that this room had once been a nursery. To her surprised, when the door swung itself open, it revealed a certain Haechan slumped against the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

The second he heard the noise of the door creaking open, he turned himself, equally as surprised as Soojin to see each other here.

"I couldn't sleep." She lied.

She had to lie, it's not like she could really be honest, she couldn't be truthful with anyone. But.. she was lying to Haechan. Haechan. She was lying to the one person that she had been truthful with her entire life, never had she spared him a detail, and he never kept things from her either.

Keeping things from him was weird, but manageable. But lying? She could feel the guilt creeping its way up her throat, it was almost making her feel sick. She barely lied to anyone, not her friends and so not her best friend. Not him.

It felt like actual betrayal, this was huge, she hadn't thought about it before, she hadn't been in the situation where she'd have to lie to him yet, but here it was, so simple and should be effortless, but once the words left her mouth she felt like she was going to shrink to the floor crying every tear that her body could manage to produce.

"Me neither." He replied, patting the space down next to him, signalling for her to sit next to him, weirdly in calm voice, and if there was anything Soojin knew about Haechan is that well, he wasn't..  quiet. It wasn't the word that happened to spring to mind when somebody referred to Haechan, unless he was in a mood, which he didn't seem to be.