That's Alex?

Michael - Saturday Night

What was Jay doing here? I forgot for a few moments that I was holding Alex's hand as I walked through the door of my house and got the surprise of my life. I took Janeé in from across the room like a breath of fresh air. Her frame was noticeably smaller than the last time she stood in this foyer crying. I didn't think about how she would process what happened between us and I wonder if this weight loss had something to do with me. She still was beautiful, though. I got a little hard as I studied her body from head to toe. I'd want her no matter what she looked like.

I was brought out of my daze when Alex squeezed my hand and Janeé said, "What the fuck?!" I didn't know Jay well enough to predict what she would do next. Would she run away and cry? Confront me in front of all these people? Or would she throw that glass at me that she gripped so tightly I thought it would break in her hand. I just stood there dumb-founded, not knowing what to do but hold on to Alex and brace myself for what was coming.

I had processed a lot in mere seconds, but what I didn't understand was why Steelo had his hands wrapped around Jay. They didn't know each other. Maybe he invited her to the party, he knew she lived here. I'd told him that much about her, at least. But that didn't explain why his hands were firmly planted on her midsection in the way they were. I was certain he was trying to stop her from doing something crazy, but the way he touched her and stood so close behind her enraged me a little. As music filled the house and people crowded around me to wish me happy birthday, my view of them was completely blocked. Still holding Alex's hand, I peered through the crowd as discreetly as possible, trying not to make it obvious I was looking for her. I finally spotted her and wanted nothing more than to run to Janeé as I saw her flying up the stairs and towards my room, Steelo following close behind her.

Janeé

A million thoughts were running through my head after I asked Sterling who that woman was. I took one last look at her before running up the stairs to gather my things from Michael's room, suddenly recognizing her. I'd seen her too many times not to. Michael couldn't have chosen a woman who looked more different than me. Her skin was a beautiful, not unlike my own, but it's hue was the opposite of mine. Long blonde hair cascaded down past her shoulders and landed just below her bust line. My hair is tightly coiled and tapered close to my head. Her body lacked the fullness mine possessed. Small, almost frail legs sprung up from her feet and the only lumps she had were two round breasts that protruded out from her tiny upper body.

I'd seen this woman twice before, once in Miami getting off the elevator with Michael, when I thought he ignored my greeting. The other time was at this very house, when I showed up unannounced and drunk. She was downstairs while Michael and I were upstairs fucking. I didn't think about her after that moment, partially because I was drunk and because things started to get intense with me and Michael's relationship.

Sterling rushed in the door as I was pushing clothes into my bag and taking swigs of Patron straight from a bottle I took from Michael's fully stocked mini fridge. The double shot I had  minutes before was having an effect on me already and I knew after drinking as much tequila as I just had, I'd be drunk soon.

"Who is that Sterling?" I looked at him with pain in my eyes. He sighed deeply before giving me an answer.

"That's Alex."

That's Alex? I assumed Alex was a guy when he and Lauren mentioned her before. It made sense now why she would have been jealous if Michael kept talking about me in Miami.

"Is she his, is she his--" I struggled to let the word 'girlfriend' escape from my lips. Sterling knew what I was trying to say.

"Yes. That's his girlfriend." He looked down in shame like he was the one who caused my pain. He wasn't the source, but he could have prevented my embarrassment.