Chapter Nine: Reset

The next day passed in a blur. Tonight I would have to change the past. Tonight it would be like I had never existed. There was still one question I had though; would my soul still exist, or would I be completely erased? I jumped a little when I heard my grandmother's voice.

Your soul will be safe on the other side. She said softly. I took a deep shuddering breath. So my soul would still exist. I wasn't sure exactly how I felt about that...but it wouldn't change my current decision. I was still going to change the past. I was going to save my family.

***

That night before bed, my dad hugged me tightly, knowing what my decision would be.

"You don't have to do this Alexis." He mumbled into my ear. I just shook my head, fighting back tears.

"Yes I do. I won't be selfish. You need Mom. And she needs you. It's not right for you two to be separated." I sniffled. "And besides, her parents approve of you now." I continued with a weak smile. He took a deep breath and embraced me again.

"I love you Alexis." It hurt that he wouldn't even remember who I was once I changed the past. It hurt so badly... My mom hugged me when my dad stepped back, and I saw she had tears rolling down her face. She didn't want me to go either. But I had to do this. I looked out the window and saw it was dark outside. The seconds on the clock were ticking by. The last seconds of my existence. But I couldn't be scared; I couldn't chicken out now. This was all up to me.

I laid down in bed after saying goodbye to my parents. It felt strange to think that I would possibly never see them again. I would never laugh with them or joke with them or grow up and get married and have a family of my own. I would just cease to exist. Maybe I was only meant to exist to patch up a mistake. I existed to fix something. Well, it didn't matter anymore. I was going to fix it. No more wasting time. No more procrastinating. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

APRIL POV

I gripped Chris' hand tightly and cried into his chest when I watched our daughter fall asleep. He held me tightly, but I could tell he was just as devastated as I was.

"Are you sure she made the right decision?" He mumbled in a hoarse voice. I just sniffled and nodded, even though it pained me to admit it.

"It was what she was meant to do." I whispered into his shirt. He just closed his eyes and rested his chin on the top of my head. "Look." I said suddenly when I realized Alexis' eyebrows were furrowed in concentration. She flinched a little, and I glanced up at Chris, but he was already staring at her. I felt a feeling wash over me and then I knew.

"She did it." I whispered, and then blackness swirled over me, and everything was gone.

******

APRIL POV

I stared at my phone, feeling a little lightheaded, like I had zoned out for a moment. I looked up and saw my parents watching TV, and then I looked back down at my phone.

"Goodnight." I texted, sending the message to Chris. My heart beat faster and I bit my lip, my fingers hovering over the keyboard. "I love you." I typed, blushing in embarrassment. I was so close to sending it, but then a strange feeling washed over me. Should I really send it to him, or should I wait to say the words to him for the first time in person? Something told me that telling him in person would be better than sending it through a text, so I deleted the message before I sent it. I smiled a little. I can't wait to go to school tomorrow and tell him that...

CHRIS POV

I woke up the next morning in a daze, feeling like something was wrong. I stared at the wall for a minute and then shook the feeling off. April had told me a few days ago that she was moving to California next month with her family. That meant I had one more month with her before we were separated. But once I turned eighteen I could go visit her, maybe even live with her. All I knew was, I wasn't gonna give up on her. I really loved her, but I was gonna wait to tell her today at school, when I could talk to her in person; face to face. I hurriedly got ready, excited to go see her. I really needed to see her.

***

As I drove to school in my car, I just kept getting more and more excited. I finally pulled into the parking lot and saw her waiting for me. She got into my car since school didn't start yet. We always did this every morning to have some time alone together before class.

"Hey, I need to tell you something." She said with a blush. I smiled at her.

"I need to tell you something too. But you go first." I wanted to see what it was she had to say.

"I-I love you." She said quickly, biting her lip in embarrassment. My smile widened.

"I love you too." I responded, causing her face to light up.

"Really?" She asked, sounding truly amazed. I nodded and leaned over, kissing her softly.

"That's actually the same thing that I had to tell you. But I was waiting to do it in person." She nodded.

"Me too." She agreed. I chuckled and kissed her again.

"I love you April."

____________________

(A/N) this is NOT the end of the book, but I do realize that it's another extremely short chapter. This is because, once again, I don't want to make a mine chapter book when the other book was longer than this. So I'll try to stretch it out. I think the next chapter in this book will be the last chapter, so it'll probably just be titled "Epilogue." I had fun writing this book and I can only hope that you guys had fun reading it :)