Chapter Three: You Can Change It

I could feel April floating, and then there was a blinding brightness. She began to walk towards the brightness, but then a hand touched her shoulder, turning her around. 

"You're not ready yet sweetheart." She said. Her voice echoed through the empty space, and April became confused.

"Why? I want to go." She replied.

"You made a promise. You promised him you would wait for him and love him forever. You can't break that promise. It's not your time. Not yet..." She told me, her voice fading away. Her image disappeared, and I felt April's body jerked away. She was spinning through blackness until she hit something hard. The wind was knocked out of her and I landed on the forest floor, gasping for breath. She got up slowly, standing next to the twisted piece of metal that used to be her parent's car. But she felt different. She looked to the side and screamed. She saw her body, covered in blood and laying against the trunk of a tree. Tears poured down her face, and I could feel them, but I couldn't stop them. Get me out of this body! I didn't want to see this memory! She looked down at the body she was currently occupying and saw it fully intact, but she knew she wasn't herself. She was dead.

She ran up the hill and into the road, waving her arms to stop any passing cars, but no one noticed her. No one at all... I felt her realize with a jolt... Maybe they couldn't see her. I heard her voice thinking in my head.  "Oh my god. They really couldn't see me. And maybe Chris can't see me either." 

With that, I felt myself ripped out of my mothers body, and then I was floating. The fog cleared and I saw what appeared to be April's mother, looking at me with a sad expression. 

"Alexis, I've shown you what you needed to see. I know it might not have been pleasant, but it was necessary." she said calmly. I focused on calming my breathing, and then I tilted my head slightly as I stared at her. 

"Are you my grandmother?" I asked. She smiled and nodded, and then she walked up to me and took my hand. 

"Alexis, you are gifted. You can do things that no one's ever dreamed of doing. i'm hoping you'll use this gift to your advantage." she said. 

"What? You mean turning invisible?" I asked, confused. 

"No, not turning invisible. Changing the past." she whispered. Before I could figure out what she meant, the fog was there again, and I felt something jerk me off my feet. I was spinning through the air, my head swirling in confusion. Then, I felt myself slammed into my mattress. 

I woke up covered in sweat and gasping for breath. Mom had never told me exactly how she died, but now I knew. I knew everything. I replayed the scene through my head again and again. Then I remembered coming out of the memory and seeing my grandmother. 

Use the gift to your advantage. You can change the past. 

I pulled out my journal from my nightstand and flipped it open, taking a pen and writing down her words so I wouldn't forget them. She said I could change the past, but how? 

I will show you. A voice said in my head. I jumped and gave a little yelp in shock. 

Grandma? I responded mentally, sounding stupid. 

Yes. Another gift you have is that you are able to communicate with people who have moved on. I can talk to you, but you must not tell this to April and Chris until the time is right. she said. 

How will I know when the time is right? I asked. 

Trust me. You'll know. she responded. 

But what about changing the past? I asked. 

I can visit you in your dreams. Tomorrow night I'll show you what I mean, but it is a very dangerous gift. If you do not use it for the correct purpose, everything can be destroyed. And you must act quickly. Before your eighteenth birthday. she explained. 

Before my mom moves on... I realized. 

Exactly. I must go now, but I'll explain everything later. Sweet dreams, Alexis. And then her voice faded away. 

As soon as she was out of my head, I took a deep breath  and felt like the weight was lifted off me. I could fix this... somehow. I just didn't know how yet. I looked at my clock and saw it was three in the morning. I groaned and flopped onto my back, staring at the ceiling. There was no possible way I could sleep now. I just replayed what had happened in my dream over and over again, focusing on every single detail. The way my mother had screamed...it was horrible. It chilled me to the bone. I couldn't even begin to imagine how strong she had to have been to keep her promise to my father and wait for him until he found her again. They truly loved each other. And according to my grandmother, I had the power to help them. I stared at my hands. I was capable of this, it was what I was born for. Only... I didn't know how to do it yet. But like she had said, I would know when the time was right to tell them. And that time wasn't right now. Not yet. 

APRIL POV 

I woke up feeling like something was wrong... out of place. I sat up quickly and looked around, which caused Chris to wake up. 

"Baby, what's wrong?" he grumbled, reaching out and gripping my hand tightly. 

"I don't know... it feels out of place." I said. I heard the front door slam, and I shot straight up in bed. 

"Someone's here." I said worriedly. Chris jumped out of bed and pulled his boxers on, getting a shiny black gun out of the nightstand. My mouth dropped open, and Chris stared at me guiltily. I didn't know he had a gun! He searched around for bullets, and cursed when he couldn't find any. 

"I'm out of ammo." he growled, tossing the useless gun to the floor. Suddenly, the door to the bedroom banged open and Antonio barged in. 

"Heard you thought about quittin." he growled. 

"How did you know about-" 

"You made a butt call to me, you idiot." Antonio said, rolling his eyes. 

"Shit." Chris muttered. Antonio grinned and raised his gun. 

"You know the deal. You quit, you're dead." he said. Suddenly, Alexis barged in the room and shoved Antonio to the ground. 

"Leave him alone!" she shouted. 

"You little-" he grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and pressed the gun to her chest, right over her heart. 

"Well Chris, it looks like I get to shoot two people today." He smirked. Chris' eyes widened. 

"Alexis." he choked out. Right when Antonio was about to pull the trigger, Alexis closed her eyes and disappeared. Antonio opened and closed his hand in shock, but he was now only clutching air. He turned towards Chris and raised his gun again. 

"Nice working with you Christopher." he said. And then he pulled the trigger.