chapter fourteen: absinthe

Start from the beginning

Parker sighed in relief. Wait, he paused, did she just call me Parky?

"So why hide who you are, Mae?" He questioned.

Snow shrugged. "I don't know. I guess it was fun to just go around drinking and doing stupid stuff without tarnishing my record of no one actually noticing me at school for anything besides my artwork. Besides, I got to meet you."

Parker's heart skipped a beat from her last sentence. "When we first properly met... you were Snow and you told me to call you that..."

She nodded, placing a hand to her forehead like she was checking her temperature. "It's because my middle name is Xue, which is snow in Chinese. I didn't think anyone knew I had a middle name, so I just stuck with it." Before Parker could say anything else, she pouted. "I'm thirsty, Parky. Can I have more of that green juice?"

Parker winced. If he gave her anymore of the absinthe, she'd probably do something worse. Apparently, when Snow—or Mae—was drunk, her body registered all of the alcohol like it was some truth serum. She wouldn't act as stupidly as other people besides telling you anything... anything at all.

Thus, he shook his head. "Sorry, sweetheart. I can get you some water though."

She frowned. "Aw, that's okay. I don't really like water."

A thought popped into his head. "Do you like Dustin?"

She tilted her head to the side cutely. "He's really nice and really smart. I don't know if he really likes me though. I know he asked me to the Winter Formal, but I almost said no."

Parker's mouth dropped in surprise. Her hesitance had left some doubt Wednesday afternoon, but he didn't think she was so close to rejecting his best friend. "Why is that?"

She shrugged, staring at him. "I don't know. I was scared."

"Scared of what?"

"Scared he'd back out. Scared he'd lead me on. Scared he'd say he loved me, but leave me. Scared that it would all go to shit," she murmured, emotions flashing in her eyes with such intensity, Parker thought she was going to cry. The thought of Dustin even thinking of doing all of that was bullshit to Parker. But what could have possibly triggered that response from her?

Snow continued. "But he's sweet, so I'll give him a chance. We understand each other... having mommy and daddy issues and all."

That was what Parker was missing. Understanding having problems with both parents. Sure, his ass of a father left when his family needed him the most, but he still had his amazing mother. Whereas, Dustin and (he guessed) Mae, had been neglected by both of their parents.

"Do you know why his mama and papa aren't good to him?" She asked with a pout.

Parker knew half of it. "Only a bit, but I don't think I should—"

"That's okay," She smiled, but it quickly melted into a frown. "Parky?"

"Yes?"

"Do you like me?"

Parker's breath hitched. He never even addressed the question himself. Where did he stand in that field? "I do, sweetheart, I do like you. But I don't know if I should because Dustin's my best friend."

"And he asked me to the formal thingy?" She peered up at him with innocent eyes. She wasn't going to remember any of this in the morning, so why not spill the beans now?

He sighed, running a hand through his dark hair. "Yeah."

"Well, if it makes you feel better," Snow laid her head on his shoulder and snuggled into the crook of his neck, "I like you, too. I think Snow likes you a lot, but she plays with you because she's a coward. And Mae's scared, too." She giggled. "I'm pathetic."

Parker smiled to himself. "You're not pathetic. I am. I'm harboring these feelings for you when I should have just told you. I was jealous when Dustin asked you to the dance—maybe that was the real reason why I left early."

Snow poked his bicep repeatedly. "That's okay, Parky. I like to think of you like a Sour Patch Kid."

He scrunched up his nose and peered down at her. "A Sour Patch Kid?"

She giggled, pulling away from his warm neck, and played with her fingers. "Yup. You're sour on the outside, but sweet on the inside. Well, at least you're not the yellow one; the yellow one is always sour." She scrunched up her own nose, then stuck out her tongue. "I don't like sour. Tart is better."

"Isn't that the same thing though?"

Snow shrugged, then rested her head on his shoulder again. "I don't... know," she said through a yawn.

The two sat in silence. The music from the house behind them blared relentlessly and Parker was glad no one had approached them during their exchange.

"Snow?" Parker asked, his voice barely audible.

She hummed in response.

"Do you like Dustin or me better?"

Parker waited for an answer for two minutes, before coming to the conclusion that she was asleep. He found himself correct when he gently shifted her head to his lap and found Snow deep into sleep.