chapter five: sprite

a/n: I honestly had to hold myself back from publishing last night cuz I actually wrote a ton! This chapter should be around 1,500 words long (I know, not exactly a ton), and there are lots of goodies ;) so enjoyyy

F I V E : SPRITE

Next Wednesday (17 days until the due date)

MAE AND DUSTIN were a little over a third of the way through their project even if they goofed off in class because of Dustin's habit of bringing enough snacks to feed an orphanage.

Again—ever since Monday when the class wasn't allowed to work on their projects in class—Mae accompanied her partner to his grand estate. Dustin was able to get her to drink and eat more, while she was able to... not get him to eat less. She stopped trying after a few times.

"Oh right, you know how you said you would go to a live show with me when tickets for one came up?" Dustin asked lightly, leading Mae up the stairs once again to his huge bedroom.

Mae nodded. "Right. Did one come up?"

"Yup!" He grinned at her, opening the door to his room. "How do you feel about Hamilton?"

She rose her eyebrow, stepping inside and towards the easel he had set up for her when she came to work. It was positioned right next to his desk in the office space of his bedroom. The office could be sectioned off by a wooden sliding door.

"Hamilton? As in 'How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore, and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence impoverished, in squalor, grow up to be a hero and a scholar?' Hamilton?" She bemused. Mae was happy to see a spark of giddiness erupt in his pupils.

Dustin dragged her over to her seat, unable to contain the huge grin on his face. "I have to confess that I already bought the tickets for this Saturday night and scored us the front balcony seats!"

"What?!" Mae exclaimed, her eyes almost falling out of her head.

"I know! I'm super excited, too!" He squealed, spinning in his gamer chair. He told her the first day she came to his office that he preferred the gamer style chair because of its comfort level over the boring desk chair.

Mae shook her head rapidly. "No, no, no! Wait... I'm paying you back." It wasn't like she was poor—she just wanted to have little dependence on her father as possible. She didn't realize her best friend would think he cut her off from the money though.

Dustin threw his head back and laughed. Then he sobered to a very convincing poker face and said firmly, "I don't think so." The two had a miniature stare down before Mae steadied her heartbeat, pretending she fell into a slight state of unconsciousness whilst her eyes were open.

Dustin smirked, blinking out of the stare down. "Ha! I win! You fell asleep!"

Mae cackled loudly. "Joke's on you! I was awake—so I win!"