chapter seven: party

a/n: yay for an early update ^ ^

S E V E N : PARTY

MAE WAS 100% convinced that the world hated her. Her feet would not fit into the nice ankle boots she had bought last year that she never wore. She had on her typical Hollister hoodie zipped up to hide the black t-shirt underneath. Beside her, sat a small, standard backpack that hid her bomber jacket, makeup, and Parker's sketchbook. She would take the terrible risk of changing at the party... that is, if she could fit her foot into the damn shoe.

She huffed in irritation. "Lyn, I can't fit into these shoes—I think it's a sign I shouldn't go!"

Icelyn came zooming out of her room in half a second and into Mae's room. She plucked up a pair of Converse and chucked them at her. The shoes nearly hit Mae square in the face.

"Thanks for almost whacking my face off," Mae deadpanned, swiping the dirty shoes off her rumpled bed.

Icelyn beamed, "You're welcome! Now, get your pretty little feet into those shoes and let's go!"

Mae frowned. Icelyn noticed, moving to sit next to her best friend on her bed. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I don't think I want to go..."

"Why not?" Icelyn asked, fidgeting with a tassel on her romper. "You told them you were going, right?"

"Yeah," Mae muttered, "but I just changed my mind. I'll probably stay around here until later."

Icelyn fixed her with a hard look. "So you can go as Snow? Why can't you just come as Mae? And also, wouldn't it be less suspicious to go so that Parker would think you wouldn't transform into Snow there?"

Mae winced; she hadn't thought about that. "I don't know, I guess I just don't want to go as me."

"Well, fine then. I'll just go pick up Jo by myself. Maybe I'll see you there," Icelyn sighed. She slung her handbag over her shoulder on her way out of the dorm.

Jo's dorm room was only a little ways down the hall. She was wearing a baby pink cropped sweatshirt and leggings for the night.

"Hey, where's Mae?" She asked hyperly, skipping down the stairs alongside Icelyn to her car.

Icelyn shrugged. "She didn't want to come."

"Oh." The two hopped into Joanna's Toyota Prius and drove off to the direction of Dustin's house. Even with the radio on, the two could hear the loud music blasting from the huge mansion. The iron gates were left open and cars lined the circular driveway.

Dustin always managed to keep everyone from dumping their trash on his lawn, and only a few people were lounging across the grass.

Dustin was at the double door entrance, his arms crossed, as he paced. He seemed anxious, but no one could figure out why.