chapter one: partnered

a/n: I'll probably be updating every other day from here on

a/n: I'll probably be updating every other day from here on. I'm not great at updating, but if you guys like my story, I'll have more motivation to update more frequently! Now, onto the first chapter!

O N E : PARTNERED

November 27th (about 3 months later)

MAE HAD WHITE in her hair again. It wasn't like she meant to always manage to get her paint stuck in the strangest places—it was simply a weird... quirk about her. At least she was able to always get the paint stains out. If she couldn't, Icelyn (her best friend) would try buying her clothes again.

The minimalist clock on her and Icelyn's living room wall ticked annoyingly to the one o'clock mark. Mae found herself packing her paints away and sticking her used paint brushes into the plastic bottle with dirty water. Lunch break was ending soon, and if she didn't hurry, she would be late to her English class.

Icelyn had a dance event to attend today, so Mae was in their dorm alone, meaning she didn't eat anything. Without Icelyn, she probably would be lying dead in a puddle of mixed paint.

"Stupid white acrylic paint," Mae grumbled, rushing to the sink in her bathroom to wash out the white paint clinging to a barely reachable spot on her head. When she finally washed it out, her eyes caught onto the dark blue bomber jacket hanging behind her on the towel rack. She paled slightly, sprinting to hide it away in the back of her closet.

She must have forgotten to put it away last night.

Mae sighed, stuffing her feet into her sneakers and shoving her arms through the sleeves of her favorite Hollister hoodie. Then, slinging her backpack over her shoulders, she reluctantly left her cozy dorm to return to another classroom on the Liberal Academy campus to do something that wasn't painting.

On her way to English, she tied her hair up into a messy knot, then patted her face to make sure she had no makeup on. But really, it was only paranoia. Every morning she made sure to wipe her face clean of any of the heavy eyeliner and eyeshadow she had on the night before.

At first, the idea seemed idiotic because one would think people would be more observant, but then she realized that her plan was foolproof. People didn't pay attention to her. Not here.

When she arrived in the classroom, Icelyn was already seated in their usual spot next to the window.

"You're early," she chuckled to her best friend. Icelyn was a talented dancer and one of the best in the school. To everyone, she was the Ice Queen, but Mae knew her as her best friend Lyn.

Icelyn smiled, "Yeah, I finished the event slightly early, so I thought I'd just meet you here. You were probably washing paint out from your hair again anyways."

Mae blushed in guilt and Icelyn laughed good naturedly. She sobered, before asking, "Did you eat anything?"

Mae again responded with silence, and Icelyn sighed. She held her best friend's hand over the gap of their tables with a frown on her face. When Mae and Icelyn first moved in together, Icelyn's first goal was to get Mae on a regular eating schedule. Mae's mother was an alcoholic who could do nothing but influence her only child while her husband was a workaholic. They both loved her, but couldn't express it well.