"Is this some kind of sick joke?" Lauren whispers, her voice hoarse and quite frankly, more hurt than angry. I shake my head, not knowing exactly what to say to something this crazy.

"I-I found the note outside and I didn't know what to do with it," I tell her honestly.

"You should have thrown it away." Lauren looks me in the eye, crumbling the note in her hand with stone cold eyes and an expression I hadn't seen in a very long time. It was that same expression from years ago. It made my heart beat faster inside my chest and I take a deep breath, placing a hand on her shoulder timidly.

"Can you please just explain why it's a joke? What if someone's trying to tell you something? Think of all the possibilities."

"Camila, whoever wrote this note is fucking sick and has completely lost all emotion." Lauren's voice cracks. "How is it that they got a hold of my mothers old phone number? They're teasing me, Camila. They're trying to get to me and you're feeding into it!"

"This is your mothers phone number?" My eyes widen, feeling a rush of confusion run through my body. I had almost felt relieved that it was her mothers number and not some no life trying to prank her. At the same time, I had questions for her, revolving around a certain green eyed lady I had seen outside her house.

"Yes," Lauren whispers. "Just throw it away. People have nothing better to do then to fuck with me."

"Why don't you try calling it?" I ask her, picking up the note that she had tossed behind her. I open it back up and the barely eligible handwriting was still in tact, except the words were ruined by the wrinkles and tear she had made in it. I glance at Lauren and she's looking right back at me like I've gone mad.

"Are you fucking with me?" Lauren laughs bitterly. "She's dead! Who the fuck do you expect is going to answer her phone?"

"Stop yelling. Maybe she'll answer if we call." I grab her hand, pulling her towards me and pulling my phone out of my pocket. I begin dialing the number and she snatches the phone out of my hand, eyes blazing in anger and full of her own tears. I feel my heart contract and the words jumble up in my throat, fearing that anything I'd say would make her cry.

"I know how this must look to you," I tell her gently. "I'm sorry if you feel like I'm making you look bad or trying to upset you in any way...but I'm telling you the truth. I think your mother left this note outside for you. But she didn't have the chance to slip it through the door and ran off. The note just happen to fall out."

"Camila, you sound crazy—"

"I'm not," I explain to her. "I saw her with my own eyes. Look, I thought I was going crazy too. But she looked me in the eye and I recognized those eyes right away. Because I'm staring right into them..."

Lauren's eyes water with tears and she pulls her hand out of mine harshly before shaking her head. "I got a letter, mailed to me with proof that she was dead. You can't tell me she's alive, because she isn't."

"Lauren listen to me—" I plead. "Why would I lie to you?"

Lauren shakes her head once again and gets up from the seat next to me. I watch in complete shock when she kicks the chair in front of her and swings the door open, grabbing the doorknob aggressively before turning to look at me. Lauren's breathing is a lot heavier now and she runs her hands through her hair desperately, looking frustrated and angered. Then she opens the door and looks back at me with watery eyes.

"I thought you were better than this," She whispers, pain visible in her light green eyes. "I thought you were actually starting to care for me, but it seems like our feelings aren't mutual."