Chapter 23

Balls and parties were definitely not Versé's scene, she did not belong in a room surrounded by fancy people dressed in elegant garments talking about the latest gossip, fashion or politics.

She watched from the corner of the ballroom, near the drink table as the Queen danced with the Governor and a few other politicians. Saché and Eirtaé, who had gotten the night off were also dancing around the dance floor. The ghost in the large room however was Sabé, the Queen's loyal bodyguard. Wearing a blue floor length dress with off the shoulder sleeves, a similar style to Versé's own dress, the young girl seemed to glide with the grace of a Queen through the crowd.

No one really knew who she was except for the security and other handmaidens. Everyone else just assumed she was a distant relative of the Queen's considering their similar features.

"Well you look lovely tonight." A voice said from behind Versé and she turned quickly to see Sergeant Kes.

Versé had been forced into an elegant green traditional ball gown, it hung rather low on her chest and the off the shoulder sleeves went down to the middle of her palms. The fabric was long and flowing, whenever she moved the different layers ruffled around her.

Saché had helped her put her hair into an elegant half up half down style leaving a few strands to frame her face. The necklace that Padmé had given her was hanging around her neck, reaching just below her collarbones. It was the only jewellery that Versé consented to wear.

"As do you, Sergeant." Versé said, looking him up and down, and it wasn't a lie. He was dressed in simple black trousers with brown leather boots and a cream coloured shirt underneath a black leather vest. The choice of attire brought out the gold in his mostly brown hair and the green in his brown eyes.

"I have heard rumours," Kes started to speak, his eyes roaming the ballroom, not meeting Versé's, "That you might be leaving the Palace Guard soon." He said.

Versé offered her friend a sad smile before saying, "Yes, I believe my path is leading me elsewhere. Somewhere far away from Naboo."

"Well your feelings have always been right, I hope though that you will not leave without saying goodbye." Kes said, nearly blinding Versé with his ever charming smile. It was one of the things she liked most about him. Most of the others in this large room wore fake smiles, pretending to be happy when talking to the person they secretly loathed, but with Kes, the only time he smiled was when he truly meant it. But there was a sadness hiding behind his eyes that nearly squeezed the life out of her heart.

Versé's eyes saddened slightly before she quickly turned away to watch the dancing. She didn't say anything, nor did she have to. Kes already understood. She would leave tonight, and there was nothing he or anyone could do to convince her to stay.

"So this is goodbye then?" Kes asked, lightly laying a hand on her shoulder and turning her to look at him.

"Yes." Versé spoke, swallowing back the tears that threatened to fall. "I will be leaving after the party."

"We will miss you." Kes told her honestly, another great thing about Sergeant Kes, he lacked the ability to lie.

"And I you." Versé whispered, hoping that he hadn't heard her, she then disappeared into the party leaving Kes with a frown on his face. He had grown rather fond of the young woman during their time together at the Palace, it wouldn't be the same without her for sure.

Versé gracefully slipped between the partygoers as she stealthily made her way toward the Queen. Once she reached the Queen she gently cleared her throat before saying, "Excuse me, your Majesty. Governer." She greeted them.

Padmé turned to her friend with a smile, a smile that quickly fell.

"You're going now." Padmé stated, she didn't have to ask, Like Kes, she already knew.

Versé nodded and bowed her head.

"It has been an honour to serve you, Queen Amidala." Versé spoke.

"I believe I may speak for the whole of Naboo in saying this," Governor Sio Bibble said, "That we greatly appreciate everything you have done for us."

Versé bowed her head and said, "I did no more than what was owed. The Naboo saved my life, I owe you all for helping me to become who I am now."

Versé then turned back to Amidala and said, "Should you ever need assistance, for anything and anywhere, all you have to do is Jagkri. He will deliver the message to me and I will help in any way that I can."

And with that, she left the ballroom and headed toward her chambers. Her bag was already packed so all she had to do was change into her travel attire which consisted of beige trousers, a black armoured vest, black boots and a black and gold kama over the trousers, over all of this she placed a dark brown cloak.

She could still hear the music from the party as she quietly crept through the Palace halls. Just as she reached the gardens she was stopped by a voice.

"Versé?" The young voice asked, causing the woman to turn around only to find Anakin and Obi-Wan behind her. "You're leaving?" He asked with a slight frown.

Versé offered the two of them a small smile as she knelt before Anakin.

"Just as you must go to begin your Jedi training, I must go and begin a training of my own. I must find my own people." She spoke, her voice soft and almost motherly.

"But where will you go? To Tatooine?" He asked, Versé smiled and said, "No, Anakin, I am going further away than that, but don't worry. If you ever need me, I'll always come."

She then stood up, her hand not leaving Anakin's shoulder as she turned her attention to Obi-Wan.

"It was lovely to meet you, Obi-Wan. I wish you the best of luck in the future." Versé said, Obi-Wan returned her smile and bowed his head.

"I hope our paths cross again, Versé."

"Ketu, my name is Ketu." She said before pulling Anakin into a hug and doing the same to Obi-Wan, though it may have been considered inappropriate. But she figured that after losing his Master he needed it.

"Goodbye, Ketu." Obi-Wan said, his smile falling slightly as he watched the woman walk into the shadows. He pushed the emotions to the back of his mind. Watching her leave brought great sadness, but he couldn't feel such things.

"Will we ever see her again?" Anakin asked, looking up at his new Master. Obi-Wan placed a hand on Anakin's shoulder, his eyes not leaving the place Versé had been standing, as he said, "I believe we will."

THE END