Chapter 22

'I have no doubt that the remaining Sith will recruit you'

Master Windu's words played through Versé's mind well into the next morning. Even as she was preparing for the Gungan parade that would take place later that day she was replaying the words in her mind.

She pulled on her red leather jacket and clipped the belt around her waist, the blaster on her hip was not charged like it should've been, but the Queen was adamant that the weapons the guards wore would only be ceremonial.

That didn't stop Versé from being prepared, as two small vibroblades were stealthily hidden in her boots.

Once Versé was prepared she left her quarters and made her way to the Queen's Chambers.

The handmaidens were busy scurrying about getting the Queen prepared for the parade. Padmé was dressed in a luminous pale pink ceremonial dress, along with a cape of myriad pink silken petals. There was a parasol that Versé knew would adorn the Queen's back once her hair was done. All in all the Queen looked gorgeous.

"Your Majesty," Versé spoke as she entered the chamber, "The parade will begin soon."

Padmé looked over at her old friend and grinned at her, though there was a sadness in her eyes as they both knew that soon Versé would be leaving, it could even be tonight after the ceremony was over. One of the service droids had informed the Queen that Versé had already packed her few belongings.

Now all the young Queen could do was wait until one day Versé would be gone.

"Good morning, Versé," Padmé said, her eyes ran along the Lieutenant's attire, she frowned slightly not liking the fact that Versé would not be standing up with herself and her handmaidens, instead she would be in the back with the other security. She also wished that Versé would allow the Queen to dress her personally but that was out of the question as the only time Padmé had seen Versé out of her uniform was at Qui-Gon's funeral, and even then for all she knew the Lieutenant could have been wearing her uniform under her cloak.

Coming to a quick conclusion Padmé said, "Take off the helmet and Saché will fix your hair, you won't need the visor at a celebration parade."

Versé raised an eyebrow at the Queen with a smirk before unbuckling her helmet and taking it off. Saché made her way over and quickly undid the basic braid Versé had thrown her hair into and quickly worked her magic on the Lieutenant's hair.

"So," Padmé began to speak as Rabé placed the parasol over her cloak, "The young Jedi Apprentice seems to have taken an interest in you." The insinuation behind the Queen's words was unmistakable causing Versé's already dark skin to darken slightly.

"I'm afraid that your interpretation of his interests is mistaken." Versé said, turning to look back at the Queen which earned her a slap on the shoulder from Saché.

"What makes you say so?" Sabé asked from her seat on a sofa. Versé rolled her eyes, this is why she preferred the company of a blaster, a blaster never asked questions. "Several members of the Jedi Council have been inquiring about me, Master Windu spoke to me last night. Therefore I do not believe that Obi Wan's interest is of that nature."

The Queen and Sabé shared an identical glance of disbelief. Neither one of them believed the Palace Guard's theory.

Noticing the exchange between the two and assuming that Saché also shared in the exchange, Versé decided to add in the final piece of the puzzle that would solidify her theory.

"Also it is against the Jedi Code to form attachments, so I highly doubt that a Jedi such as Obi Wan would allow himself to go against the Code."

Padmé frowned at the woman before her, she could hear a hint of disappointment in Versé's voice leading her to believe that perhaps the lieutenant had accidentally, unknowingly even, formed a certain attachment to the young Jedi.

"You're done." Saché said, stepping from behind Versé and offering her a smile, clearly proud of her handiwork.

The thick red hair had been divided into six sections and each section was clasped by three silver clasps at the base of her skull. It was simple but still elegant and made Versé feel slightly more like a woman.

A string of pearls was pinned to the right side of Versé's head causing her to chuckle slightly. The irony was undeniable.

"There, now everyone will still know that you are a Palace Guard." Saché said, Versé shook her head saying, "As if the uniform doesn't give it away anyway."

The other handmaidens laughed as they did the final touches to the Queen's wardrobe and then she was finally ready.

"Panaka." Versé called through her comm, the Captain's voice soon came through and she said, "She's ready now."

"Right." Panaka said.

The doors opened to the Queen's chamber and Versé lead the Queen's procession through the halls and out into the grand square where the parade would end.

Once the Queen was in place Versé made her way back to stand beside Kes who raised an eyebrow at the Lieutenant's lack of a helmet. Versé shrugged and said, "The Queen made me take the helmet off."

Kes chuckled, shaking his head slightly before straightening himself and facing forward again.

The sound of the Gungan's strange music came from the main road leading to the palace, along with the sound of the citizens of Naboo cheering rather loudly. Luckily the sun wasn't too warm despite the thick armoured jacket Versé had to wear, though the sun was rarely ever hot here on Naboo.

The parade went by rather quickly, probably because Versé's mind was elsewhere. She wasn't sure when she should leave for Mandalore but she knew that if she didn't leave soon then she would never leave.

She apparently missed the majority the parade as Kes elbowed her in the side, and she blinked the sun out of her eyes as she looked around.

"The Governor is about to call you forward." Kes spoke, Versé's eyes widened at his words as she realised that Captain Panaka was just now getting a medal for his valor, it was a shame though that Sabé would not be receiving such recognition, she had after all risked her life more than anyone else on the planet. Impersonating the Queen was a dangerous task.

Versé clapped as Panaka bowed to the Queen before making his way back to his position beside the Jedi Masters.

"And now Lieutenant Versé," The governor started to speak and Versé made her way over to the Queen, her head held high but on the inside she was just aching for this to be over, "We honour you for your unwavering bravery and loyalty to a people not your own. We thank you for your sacrifice and wish you good fortune in the future."

Versé bowed, not liking the attention she was receiving, she preferred to work in the shadows.

The Queen held out her hand and Versé placed her hand in hers. Padmé smiled sadly as she placed a cold object in her palm, Versé looked down at her hand to see a small metal pendant with the Naboo emblem engraved in it, the pendant was attached to a silk string.

It was a gift that Versé knew she would cherish forever.

"Thank you, your Majesty." Versé said, she quickly bowed and then made her way back to stand by Kes for the remainder of the ceremony.

I know that the original symbolism for the Naboo royal crest wasn't exactly very great but I decided to change it around a bit.

For Versé this gift is a symbol of the people of Naboo accepting her as one of their own.

I know I know it's a bit cheesy but I figured it sounded kinda cool

Thanks for reading!