Green Eyes, White Lies ~ Ch. 4

"When are you getting here again?" I whined.

"Two more days," Jack's face promised. Though it was right in front of me, I knew it was thousands of miles away.

"No," I groaned, "Get here sooner."

"Jenn," Jack insisted, "Come on, you're really not going to last 2 days with out me?"

"I am living on the futon in a room with four beds that are inhabited by Monica's college sorority sisters," I glared as I took a sip of coffee while I sat in an old tree Fort that cool October morning. "Jack, I love my sister but I don't know these girls and if I can't find a reason to get away from another Alpha Beta Delta moment I am going to blow."

"Seriously," Jack raised an eyebrow, "It can't be that bad."

"Jack, they cheer, and they listen to Ke$ha, they cheer, they squeal over everything, all they want to talk to me about is my boyfriend because he is "super hunky", everything has to be done the "Alpha Beta Delta way" and they cheer!" I ranted. "If I don't get away from the pep Monica's wedding will be out at the county penitentiary unless someone can post bail because that is where the maid of honor will be."

"Has Monica considered a theme wedding?" Jack mused, "I mean, an Elvis, Jail House Rock themed wedding would be unique and pretty cool."

"Jack," I practically spat through clenched teeth, "Not helping."

He laughed, "Look, my parents are in Africa right now leading a group of missionaries around Kenya. They're done 2 months."

"Are you suggesting I send all the other bridesmaids to Kenya?" I questioned, "Because that's some really big boxes and a lot of postage."

"While that is one option," Jack laughed, "The more viable option would be for you to stay at my parents' house with me."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, "David's got an apartment in the city but he's been watering the plants and watching Munich so just ask him for the keys."

"And the dog?" I questioned.

"If it will make you feel safer until I get there," he rolled his eyes.

"It would!" I squealed, "Oh my God you're the best!" I smiled. "I'm gonna go pack my things and find your bother."

"OK," Jack laughed, "See you in two days."

"See ya," I smiled, "E-mail me your flight info!"

"Doing that as we speak," he informed me, "Later."

"Bye! Get some sleep!" I said as I logged off. I shut down my computer, packed it up, and went to find David. I climbed out of the tree fort and relished in the crunch of leaves as my feet hit the floor. I started barefoot across the field, twirling and dancing as I went. While I didn't live here long, I'd spent many hours since I was thirteen here walking these fields and sitting in the tree fort when I needed to get away. When I was fifteen, Will let me plant a garden along the back of the house. As I came near, I noticed that him and mom were still taking care of it. The yellow rose bush was large and beautiful and the crepe mytles were tall. I rounded the garden and could see into the kitchen through all the windows when I saw David. He was here early and as I walked into the kitchen he was sitting there with Jerry. "Hey David," I called as I walked over to him, "Jack said to get the keys to your parent's house from you."

David looked up at me with questioning green eyes, "Why?"

"Because I am out of the Alpha Beta Delta room and staying there the rest of my stay," I grinned, "I'd like Munich too."

David laughed as he dug in his pocket, "I was wondering from the look on your face when you walked in there exactly how long you would last."

"We were going to place bets," Jerry added.

"I think five days is longer than anyone would have wagered," I joked.

"Yeah," Jerry snickered, "So you know Jack's going to be staying there too," he added.

"Yeah," I shrugged, "So?"

"Ben's going to be okay with that?" Jerry raised an eyebrow, "You staying alone in a house with a boy he doesn't know?"

"Ben's not the jealous type," I pointed out, 'And he knows Jack's a good friend." And I knew those were true but I still bit my lip when I turned to walk to my room to gather my bags.

"Hey Jenn," David called after me, "I'll bring Munich by after work."

"Cool, thanks," I said as I walked off.

***

As I unpacked my bags in David's old room, I looked around and smiled. I loved this house, it felt like home.

My stomach began grumbling since I didn't eat lunch, so I ventured down stairs in a pink tank top and a pair of black boyshort underwear. Searching for something to eat, I found a frozen pizza in the otherwise empty fridge and freezer. Something I would soon remedy. I popped it in the oven and was walking to wath tv when my phone rang. I pulled it out and looked at the screen and smiled. "O-si-yo E-li-si"

"O-si-yo my lovely Ayita," my grandmother greeted back. "I was calling you about the wedding shower for Monica."

"E-li-si, I got your flight info from mom so we moved it back 3 hours to make sure you are in," I told her.

"Ayita, you know my problems before I speak," E-li-si said in a kind voice. "Wado," she thanked, "Now tell me, how is my dear Kriti?"

Kriti, meaning 'work of art', is my mother's name. "Mom is doing fine. Overwhelmed with all the wedding stuff, but fine."

"She is strong," E-li-si said proudly.

"She learned from you," I smiled.

"Very good," E-li-si said, "I miss you Ayita." Just then the door bell rang. I answered and waved David and munich in as I talked to my grandmother.

"I miss you too E-li-si," I said, "But I will see you soon."

"I know Ayita, I will see you very soon," she smiled with her voice. "I will let you go. Have a good evening."

"You too," I smiled as she hung up.

"Hey David," I turned to him, "Sorry that was E-li-si."

"Who?" he asked, "Is that one of your Hollywood friends?"

I laughed, "I keep forgetting you don't know all the weird stuff about me that Jack does. E-li-si means grandmother. I call her E-li-si, she calls me Ayita."

"Why does your grandmother call you Ayita?"

"It's my Cherokee name," I flatly offered.

"Oh," David said, "Cool"

"Yeah," I shrugged, "So I was going to watch some TV and theres a frozen pizza in the oven. Want to stay?"

"Are you going to put on shorts?" he asked.

I looked down and turned a little pink, "Be right back," I said as I hurddled up the stairs. I threw on a pair of Ben's basketball shorts that I stole and ran back down stairs. "Sorry," I apologized, "I run around like that at my apartment. I forget about other people."

"Don't worry about it," he smiled, "So I found a Psych marathon."

"Sweet!" I exclaimed as I jumped the back of the couch to sit next to him.