With that Rainey was on his feet. "Yes, mother."

Rainey seemed almost like a young child again , it was kind of refreshing that he respected his mother enough to do as she asked.

July wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed tightly. I returned the same gesture. "Mommy where did you get this jacket, it is really too big for you."

I looked down realizing that I was still wearing Maddy's jacket. " Oh, Mommy was cold and Mr. Maddy was nice enough to let me wear his jacket." I pointed to Maddy to make sure July knew who I was talking about.

"Well thank you for keeping my Mommy warm Mr. Maddy." At that moment Rainey's eyes darted in our direction. I could tell he had been eavesdropping on our conversation. I wasn't sure why but he continued to stare in our direction. I put July down and bent down on her level. "July why don't you go help Daddy with setting the table, it looks like he might need a little help."

July looked in his direction and then back at me and giggled, "Looks like he needs a lot of help." She attempted to wink at me, and I winked back. Then, she headed towards the dining room table. I could barely hear her speaking, but I did her say... " No, no no daddy, this is how you do it." 

I have such rambunctious little girl.

I removed Maddy's jacket and turned back in his direction. I held it out to him. " Thank you for loaning me your jacket."

" Well, it was my pleasure."  He took one  hand and grabbed the jacket, with the other he put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed. " Good luck tonight, I think I'm going to see if I can find Patrick" He removed his hand and headed towards the stairs. On his way up the stairs he had one final remark. " See you at dinner." 

I felt a little out of place once Maddy left. At least with him here I felt as though I had someone to talk to. Rainey had yet to make any attempt to speak to me since I entered the cabin. July and Rainey were setting a large dining room table. Janie was in the kitchen cooking with Carl. I wasn't sure where Rainey's sister and husband were, but I was sure they would join us for dinner. For several minutes I just stood and watched the happenings of the cabin. I was trying to take in the surroundings and get a feel for Rainey's family. July seemed to fit right in.

After setting the table July jumped into a bar stool that sat at the kitchen counter. I watched her as she spoke to Janie. " Gigi, can I help you cook?"  She nodded her head and past a bowl of ingredients that needed to be mixed and told July to stir. July got up on her knees on the stool and started to stir. I wasn't sure what she was stirring but she was working hard at it.

I stood awkwardly into the foyer. I didn't know if I should just go in and sit down, or wait to be asked to sit. At this point I was beginning to think that neither was going to happen because I was afraid to sit down and everyone else was doing their own thing.

Rainey must have noticed how awkward I was being because he made his way to where I was standing.

"You can sit down you now."

"Thanks." I made my way to the sectional and sat down on the edge of the cushion.

Rainey followed behind me and sat down as well. He sat more comfortably than I did. He sank his body into one of the two recliners than faced the television. He looked at me for a long time as if he wanted to say something. He tapped his foot lightly on the floor. Occasionally, he would look down and then back up again. Finally I decided to break the awkward silence.

"Are you have a good time with July?"  At the sound of her name, it was as if his demeanor change.

" We are having the best time, she is so smart. How did she get so smart?"