2.5✖️

CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2.5 | ALMOST

My fingers are almost rubbed raw, the seemingly endless rings of the ladder finally coming to an end

My fingers are almost rubbed raw, the seemingly endless rings of the ladder finally coming to an end. The cloak flies in the wind, the sun beginning to fall.

Swinging myself onto the ledge, I take a seat beside Peter. "Here's your sandwich," I mutter, shoulder pressed into his as our feet dangle over the traffic. I reach up to pull my hood down, but he quickly shakes his head.

"I wouldn't. Ever since Germany, everyone's been interested in Spiderman and Shadow," Peter sighs, pulling up the mask enough to speak and eat. It was a pretty unsuccessful day, the small crimes barely even popping up. I can tell it was bumming him out, but it's hard to tell why so much.

Leaving the hood on, my eyes fall to the ground below us. People walk by, looking, pointing and whispering.

"You okay?" I ask quietly, my eyes steadily trained on the ground. It was no use considering my face was hidden.

He swings his feet back and fourth anxiously. "I made a promise, to take responsibility. And I'm doing nothing. I'm not keeping anyone safe, or helping anyone. I can handle it, but Mr.Stark thinks I can't. I want to do something that actually means something," Peter says quickly, growing frustrated.

My whole life I did nothing. I sat around and waited, playing it safe. Hiding myself from the world. Not saying a word, not telling my friends who I really am. In fact, I'm still doing nothing. I'm still fake. And I wonder how he thinks it's nothing, when all he's been doing is helping me. It's made a difference for me, but maybe he doesn't think that.

"It means something," I look up, suddenly sure. "I mean, you risked your ass to help me. And I know, it might not count for you, but I had no one, and it was always you there, even before Germany. That meant something to me, that helped make it less lonely," I rush, the words a scrambled mess. Realizing my words, realizing how much it actually means to me, makes the heat rush to my cheeks, my heart pound as I feel his gaze on me, even through the mask.

Peter licks his lips lightly, the sandwhich held loosely in his hands. There's nothing more I want now than to just be Aurora and Peter, without the hood and the mask. "It did?" There was hope there, that he might've realized he helped someone.