2.7✖️

CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2.7 | FAKING PIZZA DATES

It was a relief to finally be home

It was a relief to finally be home. Light feet scramble over the wooden deck surrounding the farmhouse, myself eager to see the kids and Laura. There was a lot that had happened, and sometimes you just want the comfort of home. Especially after an awkward breakfast with Peter, Nat and Tony.

Swinging open the door with Natasha behind, a small gasp escapes my throat. It was a slightly more stubbly, rogue version of Steve, and that could only mean one thing. My dad would be home soon, as would everyone else stuck in that prison.

     "Steve!" Despite the events of the last day, a grin creeps onto my lips, jumping quickly into his arms. Steve chuckles, wrapping his arms around me tightly. He was my family, and had been through a lot. I sigh heavily, finally finding the smallest relief in the fact that my dad would be home soon. Maybe with all the bad, a little good had to come.

     "How're you doing?" He asks genuinely, unwrapping his arms. I can see the tiredness in his eyes, the sunken features. Steve is on the run after all. Wondering if he had heard of the events, I shrug.

"Could be better," I say lightly, tapping the dampers on my temples, hidden by a curtain of unruly blonde hair. Tony had designed them quickly to help with my senses, dialing them down so I could at least somewhat focus on something else. "But what about you? I mean, how's Bucky—the imposter guy? I think you've had the worse day."

Steve leads us through the house, knowing well enough I wouldn't quit until I knew what I wanted to. Quickly being ambushed by Laura and the kids, I let them hug me tightly. It helped me feel normal, like there wasn't someone who wanted me to have a deadly power.

I find Steve on the couch, sitting opposite him and kicking my legs up on the side of the tan couch. It felt like so long since I'd seen the yellow walls, white flowers and family pictures hanging around.

Raising my eyebrows, he begins with a half-hearted laugh. "Bucky went to Wakanda, to undo what Hydra did," Steve says happily, the grin contagious. "I wanted to say sorry, for involving you and your dad."