Chapter 17

Song for chapter- Rolling in the Deep by Adele 

Eileen POV

I looped my arm through Nick's. "You look lovely." He kissed my temple. I smiled at him and we walked down the stairs. My parents looked up from the receiving line. 

"Eileen!" My mother rushed to my side and pressed a kiss to both of my cheeks. My father smiled and excused himself from the conversation he was holding and walked to us. 

"Love." He kissed both of my offered cheeks. "How is my girl?" 

"I am good." I looked up at Nick. "I missed you both."

"I missed you too baby." My mother smiled at the two of us. "You won't believe what happened this time around. Your father ended up meeting with the prime minister and helping with a border dispute."

I looked around at the ball goers. "I see you rounded up all the most powerful people in the US for this?" 

"Yes." My father smiled. "They are dear friends of ours." I rolled my eyes slightly. "Don't give me that sass." 

"I wouldn't dream of it Dad." I smiled. "You didn't invite Grant did you?"

"No. We did however invite his parents." My mother clasped her hands together in front of her midnight blue gown. "That doesn't bother you does it?" 

"No, not at all." I looked around. 

"Nicholas." My father turned to him and offered him a firm handshake. 

"Mr. Field." Nick accepted and wrapped his arm around my torso. "How was your trip sir?"

"It was good. And please enough with the Mr. Field and the sir. You are making me feel old." He smiled and his eyes twinkled. 

"All right, Griffin." Nick turned to my mother and kissed her cheek. "Mrs. Field."

"Stop there young man, same goes for me." She patted his lapel.

He grinned and the music began. He turned to me. "Miss Field may I have this pleasure?"

"Why thank you kind sir." I blushed and placed my hand in his. He led me to the floor and we began the waltz. 

-------------------------------------------------

Griffin POV

I looked at Rosemary. "I told you it would work." She grinned.

"Love, I give you full credit." She slipped her arm in my extended one. "Are sure this is the one?"

"Positive. He has proven himself loyal and true. Why wouldn't he be the one?"

"I don't know. Did you double the guard?" She lowered her tone. 

"Yes, my dear. I would never put her in that kind of danger." I grimaced. Looking out into the crowd I saw my daughter dancing with Nicholas and she was smiling. A true genuine smile. A flash of movement from the side caught my gaze. 

"Rosemary, honey." I whispered in her ear. She looked at me with big green eyes. "Got to Eileen." 

She nodded swiftly and swept down the staircase. I moved towards the side of the room that I had seen the familiar face. 

I walked out to the balcony and looked around. "Ah Mr. Field." A man's voice filtered out of the hall next to me. 

"Grant." I grit out. "Why are you here?"

"I came to get my girlfriend back."

"You think she would come back to you?" I rose my eyebrow. "Are you serious?"