chapter 2

Nicholas's POV

I picked up the phone. 

"Hello this is Nicholas Winston." I tried to sound as though I was in control, but why, why was Eileen Field calling me, after her partner Conner insulted my asociate. 

"Hello, this is Eileen Field." Her voice sounded silky smooth. I tried hard to stay focused. I got up from my desk and paced. 

"Eileen. Why are you calling me?" 

"I know that Conner made a mistake. He did not mean to insult your... what was it? Secretary?" She mocked me. 

"Um actually asociate, but that is hardly the point. Why are you calling? Couldn't the man who caused this mess do it?" 

She let out a frustrated breath. "Because as owner and CEO, it reflects poorly on my business. I have to mend things, even if I don't agree with whom I must mend them." 

"Ouch. Stab me any more and I'll die." I quipped. Eileen was smart. She knew what must be done. 

"Oh poor baby. Do you need me to come and clean your wounds?" She openly mocked me. 

"You do realize that you are putting this business transaction in jeopardy, right?" 

"Oh no did I hurt the boss man's feelings?" She was rentless. "I thought you had grown up Nicky but I guess not." 

"Nicky, really? That was a low blow Leeny." I could feel the tension in between us, even though we were miles apart. 

"Oh wow, Nicholas. What are you going to do send a bloodhound out? Like when we were kids?" She was so infurating. 

"No if you must know. Also you are forgiven." 

"What?" She sputtered. "What are you forgiving me for?"

"For your partner. I'll see you around Eileen." I hung up. 

Eileen was a savy woman. She had been my best friend growing up. Then college happened. I had chosen to Stanford. They wanted me. So I went. I played football, I was the hotshot on campus, but I lost Eileen. 

She had thrown herself into her studies. She was determined to graduate top of her class. She was two years younger than me, so when she got there I had already astablished 'friendships.' Little freshman Eileen did not fit into them. Slowly we had drifted apart. She quit coming to me when she needed a shoulder to cry on and she started dating the linebacker. I had hurt her. 

  She had simply lashed out after college. She started Field Enterprises, fully knowing that I was staring a company too that delt with the same products. She started a war, a war that she wasnt going to win. A war that would end with us together. Or even farther apart. 

"Crap. CRAP!!!" I yelled into my office. I grabbed my folders and stalked out of the room. 

"PATRICIA!!!!" I yelled for my secretary. 

She scuttled over to her seething boss. "Yes sir." She shrank back from me. 

"Put this on record and lock up I am leaving."  I tossed her the folders and walked out the door, making sure a hearty slam was added. 

Why was Eileen still affecting me after all these years?