Chapter 13

Song for chapter- Tightrope from the Greatest Showman 

Author's Note.

This chapter contain's a miscarriage. If you are uncomfortable with this kind of thing then beware. Enjoy. 

"Crap." I whispered. The test in my hand shook. I flipped the next one over. "Negative. Please be negative." I begged. 

Positive

That one word shook my world. I, Eileen Rosemary Field, was pregnant. My world was going to end. I slumped to the bathroom floor. What I had assumed to simply be a cold or an elongated flu was actually morning sickness, and the reason my taunt stomach was bulging slightly was not the weight gain I had thought, but a growing baby. 

I covered my face with my hands and cried. A baby would mean I would need to quit my beloved job. A baby outside of wedlock would mean downcast eyes and side way glances from my peers. 

I did the only logical thing and called my mom. 

"Mama." I sobbed. "I screwed up."

"Baby girl what are you talking about." My mother's worried voice had come to my ears. 

"I am pregnant. Mama I am pregnant." I sobbed all the harder. 

"Oh baby." She was strong, but I could hear a small hiccup in her words. "Oh my baby." 

"Daddy is going to kill me." I was curled in a ball in my bathroom. 

"No he won't." My mom the voice of calm. "You are going to tell Grant and then go from there."

Grant. I had forgotten about my boyfriend of four years. My baby's dad.

"Right." I sniffed. "See you later mom." 

"Bye baby. I love you."

I straightened and walked out to the kitchen. "Grant?" 

"Yeah?" He looked up from his phone. His black eye brows drew together. His twinkling blue eyes pierced my soul.

"I need to tell you something." I rubbed my arms and straightened my blouse. My blonde hair fell down to my waist these days and was difficult to keep in an updo and now it was in my face. 

"Uh huh." He nodded. "Are you ok?" 

"Not really." I sighed. I slid into a chair. He stood and walked to me. He rubbed my shoulders.

"Tell me." His black hair was slicked into his normal style and his muscular arms wrapped around my tiny waist. 

"Grant, I am pregnant." My eyes filled with tears.

"What?!" He released me and took a step back. "How?!" 

"Do I really need to explain that?"

"Well I know how." He sighed. "Oh Eileen, I am sorry." 

His warm arms encircled my waist again and he held me as I sobbed my eyes out. My make up was running down my face and I lifted my eyes to meet his. "Can we do this?" 

"Yeah we can and we will." 

------------------------------------------------

July 12. 

I watched the clock in the office. Something was not right. The baby was not as active as normal. I shrugged it off and contacted Emily. 

"Emily, would you please meet me  in my office. Bring Sue with you please."