Chapter 5 - Surprises

I had just slipped on the bracelet and necklace when my phone beeped. ‘Hope you like them Lex. I’ve had them for a while but wanted to give them to you at the right moment. I thought they might cheer you up J xx – Nay.’ What did I ever do to deserve him as a best friend? ‘Thanks Nay, they are perfect. I don’t deserve you as a best friend J xx – Lex’ my phone beeped once more before I set off home alone. ‘Expect a package in the post some time tomorrow. I’ve got a little surprise planned for you :* xx – Nay’ By this stage I was speechless. The bracelet and pendant was too much, now he’s got another surprise planned for me. I didn’t know how to reply so I just replied with three kisses.

I commenced the long, lonely journey home by turning on Capital Fm. I wasn’t really listening but turned up the volume when I heard who they were chatting too. ‘And with us right now live on air with me Andi, via the telephone is Nathan Sykes from The Wanted! Hello Nathan’ Andi spoke. ‘Hey Andi what’s happening’ he laughed. ‘Why is he on this late? It’s nearly midnight’ I asked myself. ‘Now normally we don’t speak to people of Nathan’s calibre at this time of the night on Capital, but tonight is that one exception, tell us why Nathan’ Andi explained. ‘We’re about to hop on a flight to America at the moment, which is one of the perks of our job, travelling about the world and stuff, but one of the downsides is that we don’t really get to spend too much time with our family and friends. The last few days, which we’ve had off has made me realise how proud everyone around us is, yet how they’re putting on a brave face even though they miss us loads. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to have spent the last two days, which have undoubtedly been the best two days of my life, with my best friend Alexandra, or Lex as I like to call her. We’ve been best friends for as long as I can remember and I can’t imagine living without her. I’m sure she’s listening in her car as she drives back to Gloucester after dropping me off at the airport and I’d like to take this opportunity to tell her how much she really means to me. I’m sure she already knows, I just want to make it clear to her.’ Nathan explained.   ‘Nathan, that is very sweet of you. I’m sure she feels the same about you. Thanks for calling Nathan and best of luck with things in America’ Andi finished.

At this stage I was pulled over on the side of the road crying my eyes out. Whoever he marries is going to have to be someone exactly like him, someone he deserves but right now I’m beginning to think that there is no one out there good enough for him. I heard my phone beep in my hand bag so I leaned over to reach it. Nathan, my heart skipped a beat. ‘Hey Lex, hope you heard that. I mean every word. You mean the world to me and I only want to see you happy. I hope you find the man of your dreams who’ll be your best friend for ever, but until then, you’re stuck with me. See you soon. Love you lots like jelly tots, Nathan xxxx.’ ‘Thank you Nathan, it was very sweet of you.  You mean the world to me too, and I hope you find someone who deserves you but somehow I don’t think that is possible as you’re the nicest person I’ve ever met. These next few weeks/months will kill me, but I hope you come home to see me soon. Love you lots more than jelly tots, Lex xxxx.’

I tiptoed up the stairs when I arrived home at almost 2 o clock in the morning. Everyone must have been asleep. I swear I’ve never been so tired in my life, the crying probably had an impact too. I cried the whole way home. I’m surprised I didn’t crash seeing as though my eyes were still blurry. I didn’t have the energy to change my clothes so I threw on one of Nathan’s hoodies. It still smelt like him. I snuggled under the duvet trying to forget that he’d left but it was hard especially because he’d left reminders of himself around the room. His flour covered clothes were scattered at the end of my bed, his pillows were left on the chair as he couldn’t take them with him and hadn’t time to take them home, some of his clothes were still in my wardrobe and he had just text me again. ‘Good night Lex. See you sooner than you think. Hope you got home safe. Sweet dreams, love you lots, Nay xx.’ He followed it up by sending a picture of us snuggled up in bed and a cryptic tweet, ‘@NathanTheWanted: You know when someone means the world to you, but you don’t know how to put it into words, or make them believe you. I’ve got that problem xx’ I replied to his tweet with ‘@AlexMay93: @NathanTheWanted I know how you mean. Just when things get good, things you love are taken away. You’re heartbroken when they’re gone and you can’t survive, but without lows we can’t have highs xx.’ On that note I put my phone beside my bed, not knowing that Nathan was about to tweet back, hoping that this package his was talking back was going to arrive.

I woke up to the sound of the doorbell ringing. I jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs to answer it. ‘I’ll get it!’ I called. ‘Hello Mr. Postman, what can I do you for?’ I asked leaning against the doorframe. ‘I’ve got a delivery for a Miss. Alexandra May Collins?’ he sighed. ‘That’s me’ I sang. ‘Sign here please’ he grunted. I signed quickly and slammed the door behind me. ‘Thank you’ I called out the letter box to the postman now making his way down the driveway. I ran back upstairs to open it. I ripped the paper and opened the brown box. I read the letter first, unaware of what was in the box. It was from Bristol Zoo. I bet you know what’s coming next. ‘I’m proud to say that you, Nathan Sykes and Alexandra May Collins have now adopted a new baby Panda. Enclosed is the certificate, a photo of the animal and a panda teddy bear. You’ll receive a weekly newsletter and a monthly letter from us on how your panda is doing. We expect a visit from you in the next few weeks. Yours sincerely, Matt Smith, Bristol Zoo.’

I picked up my phone to text Nathan who had probably just landed in LA, finally noticing his tweet. ‘@NathanTheWanted: Miss you already @AlexMay93. I wish I was there to give you cuddles tonight, but it couldn’t be. Talk to you soon Lex xxx.’ I opened a new message and began to type out my thank you message. ‘Hey Nay, hope you landed safely, I know how bad a flyer you are. Just got the package, you’re so cute You should have adopted a sloth though, it would have been adorable like you, just not as cute as you. Enjoy LA, and don’t forget me! J Lex xx.’ ‘Alex, I’m going to see Jess. When I come back I want my bedroom spotless, oh and don’t worry about that 100 quid, I don’t need it’ Avril called passing my room. ‘Okay Avril, see you later’ I replied back. ‘Not like her to turn down 100 quid’ I mumbled. I threw my phone on my bed and stumbled towards Avril’s room, my stomach aching.

I was okay after a few seconds, probably just stomach cramps, I hadn’t eaten in a while. Her room wasn’t as bad as what I thought. I started with the floor. I picked up the papers and was about to throw them in her bin when I saw the note. I threw the rubbish to the floor to pick it up. ‘Avril, I’ve left 200 quid in your top drawer. Don’t mention this to Alex, just tell her you don’t need the money. Nathan.’ Not only had he paid her off for me, but he paid her double. I knew he was up to something yesterday.  That was so sweet. I dropped the note and attempted to pick it up but the pain was back but it was worse, ten times worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'M BACK! HEYA! Just to let you know, there are only 3 chapters left in this, but you may get a sequel depending. Okay this may be a little mean but I won't update this until I get 5 fan comments and 1 vote. Fair enough?!

Enjoy reading!

Comment :)

Vote :)

Fan :)

Rachael :)