Chapter 2 - Day Out

‘WAKE UP YOU SLEEPY HEAD’ Jake my younger brother called beating a saucepan with a wooden spoon as he marched around outside my bedroom door. ‘Ignore him’ I moaned pulling the duvet up over our heads. He stormed in through the door and jumped up on the bed. ‘Alex, since when do you have four legs?’ he asked crawling up along the bed. He pulled the duvet off our heads before shouting ‘MUM, ALEX AND NATHAN ARE HAVING SEX!’ I heard footsteps pound quickly up the steps. ‘Aw Jake leave them alone, they’re just catching up. And if you think that’s sex, you’re in for an awful surprise’ she sang causing Nathan and I to giggle. ‘More like catching up on Biology. What are you studying Alex? The Human Anatomy?’ my 16 year old sister Avril added passing the door. ‘PEOPLE WE ARE JUST FRIENDS’ I declared. ‘Yeah friends with benefits’ Matthew, another brother of mine added leaning against the door frame. ‘Awesome movie’ Avril sang. I jumped up out of the bed and slammed the door in their face.

‘Why do people have to be dating to be allowed to sleep in the same bed?’ I asked climbing in over him too lazy to walk all the way around the bed. ‘I think they’re just jealous that you have friends and they don’t’ he teased. ‘She’s best friends with your sister Jess’ I informed him. He nodded unaware of that until I told him. ‘I thought Matthew moved in with his girlfriend after the twins were born?’ Nathan asked sitting up on the bed. ‘They split up again yesterday’ I sighed. ‘Now can we get back to sleeping Nath?’ I asked.  He pulled me down by the waist so now my head was on his chest, and he was playing with my hair. He always found it fascinating as a child, so fascinating that he once tried to cut it off for further inspection, but failed once his mum discovered that her kitchen knife was missing. What can I say, only that he was 5 at the time and didn’t know any better.

‘So what do you want to do for the day Lex?’ Nathan whispered fiddling with my fingers. ‘Bristol Zoo just like the old days?’ I asked moving upwards to sit beside him. ‘Sure, but you’re driving!’ he exclaimed jumping out of bed. ‘Yeah about that, I forgot to fill Herbie up with petrol’ I whispered scrunching my nose. ‘Okay, I’ll drive. We’re stopping at Starbucks first though’ he informed me opening my wardrobe and taking out his clothes. ‘Use my shower, you know where the towels are Nay’ I smiled grabbing two towels and headed out the door to use the main shower.  

I stepped into the shower and let the warm water flow down my body. I turned the water on full blast as it was a good disguise for the tears I was now crying. I was losing Nathan again in two days’ time. He was off to America again for a month, before going back to London to finish the album. I’ve only had him back and now he’s off again. I’m proud of him and how far the boys have come and everything, but it is nice to spend time with your best friend every now and again, after all I did spend 16 years of my life with him.

I stepped out of the shower and grabbed the nearest towel to wrap it around my waist. I used the other the wrap my hair. ‘Shit clothes’ I mumbled to myself remembering that I hadn’t brought in any clothes with me. I tiptoed across the hallway hoping Nathan was still in the shower, but he wasn’t he was stood there with just a towel wrapped around his waist. Nothing I hadn’t seen before though, well the top half I mean, we’re not friends with benefits. ‘Oh sorry Nay’ I whispered creeping in. ‘It’s fine’ he replied turning round to face me. ‘I didn’t realise you were just in a towel’ he smiled eyeing me up and down. ‘Like what you see?’ I smirked walking over to pick up my clothes. ‘I do but, you’re my best friend’ he smiled pulling me in for a hug. ‘You know I love you more than I love Jess. You mean the world to me Lex’ he whispered kissing my head. ‘I love you more than Matthew, Avril and Jake put together. If anyone heard us they’d think we were dating’ I laughed tightening my grip on his waist. ‘Um, now go get ready’ he laughed trying to let go. ‘I’m happy like this for a few more seconds’ I whispered putting my head on his chest, closing my eyes. ‘Oh okay, just enjoy the moment I suppose. I won’t be seeing you much when I leave’ he sighed. ‘Um, Lex, why is my chest wet?’ he asked. ‘Because you just came out of the shower’ I whispered. ‘Why are you crying?’ he asked looking down at me smiling. ‘I’m going to miss you Nay. I hardly ever get to see you anymore and when I do it’s only for a few days. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you’re doing so well, and I’m proud of you, but I do miss you heaps when you’re away. I miss being able to talk to you, hug you, or just do the things we used to do together. I want things to be how they used to’ I frowned. ‘I’ll miss you too Lex, but I promise I will come back and visit you more often. Leaving you here is the worst thing, and I don’t like doing it, but unfortunately it comes with the job. Come here’ he sang sitting down on the bed, pulling me on his lap. I played with his hair but it wasn’t like the old days when he had a fringe and lots of hair to play with. ‘Nay, can you do me a favour?’ I whispered. ‘Anything for you’ he replied. ‘Grow your fringe back. I loved playing with it, but now it’s gone and all I have to play with is a few stray curls’ I laughed. ‘If you want me to, I will. Now can I get dressed please? We’re both just sitting here in towels and that one on your head is about to drop off’ he laughed pulling it off my head.

He threw me to the bed attempting to tickle me but I protested due to the fact I was only in a towel. ‘I’ll get ready in the bathroom Lex. Just shout if you want anything’ he winked. ‘He’d try it on with a hedgehog’ I mumbled after the door was closed. I threw on a pair of black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and Nathan’s purple hoody. I let my hair dry naturally, draped down my back. ‘Ready Nay?’ I asked watching him stroll out of the bathroom. ‘I’m tired, will you drive Lex?’ he asked throwing himself down beside me on the bed. ‘Yeah if you want Nay. Let’s go you lazy lump’ I laughed pulling him up off the bed.

I jumped in the driver’s seat of Nathan’s car, with him in the passenger’s seat, before starting up the engine. Nathan seemed very quiet but it wasn’t for a few minutes until I realised that he had fallen asleep. ‘No point of stopping off at Starbucks I guess’ I whispered. He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping.

‘Nath, we’re here’ I whispered after 50 minutes of travelling. ‘Poor Baby Nath are you tired?’ I whispered stroking his cheek gently with the back of my hand. ‘Sorry Lex, but you’re a restless sleeper’ he smirked. ‘You know me very well by now Nay’ I smiled. ‘Come on so you’ he sang jumping out. ‘Madam’ he sang opening my door before linking arms with me. ‘You know how to treat a lady right, don’t you Mr Sykes?’ I smiled. ‘Especially when she’s a special little lady’ he smiled back. I stopped on the spot and looked around. ‘Where is this special lady Nay? Can I meet her?’ I asked. ‘It’s you you little devil’ he laughed linking arms again and walking towards the entrance. ‘You’re the best best friend anyone could ever ask for Nathan’ I told him. ‘Not true, you are’ he sang. ‘Aw you’re perfect’ I sang.

‘The aquarium first?’ he asked. I nodded as he pulled me along. ‘Look at all the fishes’ I exclaimed pointing at them in awe. ‘They’re beautiful’ I smiled. ‘I know’ he replied putting his arms around my waist. We moved on pretty fast as they isn’t much you can do while watching fish swim. As a child I was never a fan of the reptiles or the fruit bats, so we scurried on past them and went to see the panda’s instead. ‘I want a panda’ I whined. ‘Maybe when you’re older’ Nathan laughed. ‘Okay daddy’ I joked.

‘If I was an animal, what animal do you think I’d be?’ Nathan asked looking down at me. ‘Besides the obvious choice of a sloth, I’d say a bear because you’re very cuddly and protective’ I smiled. ‘And fat’ he added. ‘Nathan, you’re not fat. You’d show Aston Merrygold up with your six pack. I’ve seen yours up close and personal too, remember today?! Anyway you’re six pack is very impressive’ I informed him. ‘Thanks Lex. If you were an animal, you’d be a newborn kitten. You’re cute, shy and playful’ he smiled. ‘Aw Nay, my heart just melted. Thanks, now on that note, lets head home!’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry bout the delay! I got distracted by Tom Parker shirtless on livestream, toast, tea and biscuits! It's up now anyway! Enjoy!

Comment :)

Vote :)

Fan :)

Rach :) xx