Chapter Three

"Story, story, story!" Aleyna's cheerful chants fill the room as she bounces up and down on her bed. "Okay, okay I'm coming," Nam-Gyu responds with a warm chuckle, his eyes scanning the array of storybooks in Aleyna's bookshelf.

Nam-Gyu picks out a book from the shelf and then joins Aleyna on her bed. As they make themselves comfortable, he excitedly begins, "Ok, tonight's story is..." prompting Aleyna's playful reaction as she starts drumming her hands on the bedspread. With a warm smile, he announces, "The Little Mermaid!"

"Yay!" Aleyna cheers, clapping her hands in delight. "Alright, the story begins in a deep underwater kingdom where a curious little mermaid named Ariel lives-" Before Nam-Gyu can continue, his phone suddenly goes off interrupting him. Retrieving the device from his pants pocket, he checks the caller's I.D., a strained sigh leaves him as he sees it's Hyori.

"Daddy, story," whines Aleyna, her tiny finger tapping the book with impatience. "Uh..." Nam-Gyu's gaze flickers from his daughter to his phone, a momentary pang of guilt sweeping over him. "Sorry baby, this'll only take a second," he assures her as he gets up from the bed. Aleyna pouts and then picks the book up, going through it herself.

Nam-Gyu shuts the door behind him as he answers the call. "Hello?"

"Nam-Gyu-ssi, I'm glad I could get you,"

"Uh, yeah, but it's a little late, don't you think?"

"I know but I've received some news that I think you'd be quite interested in," Hyori says. "Uh..." Nam-Gyu glances back at Aleyna's room door, a sigh leaving him. "Okay, but I may have to rush you a bit."

"This won't take long," Hyori assures him before continuing. "So, I don't know if you know but Son Intak is coming to Seoul this Friday."

Nam-Gyu perks up upon hearing the name of one of his all-time favourite Authors. "He is?"

"Yes, and it so happens that he and my husband go way back, like college frat house way back," Hyori tells him. "Ok, but what's this got to do with me?" Nam-Gyu asks.

"Well, he's celebrating the conclusion of his Asia Book Tour at Seoul Towers, which me and my husband will be attending and I was wondering if you'd be interested in coming as well," Hyori offers.

Nam-Gyu's brow furrows in confusion at the sudden invitation. "Um, why?"

"You are a fan, are you not?"

"Well, yeah, but that's beside the point. I don't think it would be appropriate to accept something like that,"

"Why not? It's a completely professional setting, where you'll be with other like-minded people and you'll get to meet your favourite author. I don't see the problem," Hyori says.

Nam-Gyu scoffs at this. She seriously doesn't see a problem? "I, uh...I don't know," he mutters.

"Nam-Gyu-ssi, this is a huge opportunity that I'm giving you here; it would be quite foolish to pass it up," Hyori states rather firmly.

A begrudged sigh leaves Nam-Gyu as he pinches the bridge of his nose. "...fine, I'll go," he responds drolly. "Great, I'll send you all the details later, remember to dress sharply and I'll see you tomorrow at work," Hyori says before hanging up.

Nam-Gyu lets out a deep breath as he gathers his thoughts before walking back into Aleyna's room. The 5-year-old looks up at him noticing his perplexed expression. "Are you okay, Daddy?" she asks, her small hand reaching out to touch his arm. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired," Nam-Gyu assures her, mustering a faint smile to reassure her, his weary eyes showing traces of exhaustion as he settles back onto the bed.