Leo's wolf stood over mine protectively, growling at the rogues several feet ahead of us. I shrank beneath him shamefully, laying down flat to the forest floor. With his eyes on the enemy, he lowered his head to lick my ears soothingly before taking a step forward and snarling at the group.

An alpha wants that? We were only trying to do you a favor, sir. Survival of the fittest and all.

If wolves could blush, I would've been beet red. She is stronger than she looks, not that it is any of your business. Move on now, or you will be hunted and killed like the filthy mutts you are, Leo threatened. And if you ever come back and threaten my mate again, I'll tear you apart myself. Slowly.

That thing is your mate? Look at it - a runt and a deformed freak.

I scooted myself backwards silently, earning a bark from Leo to stay still. The rogues all laughed in amusement and began circling Leo and I, until we were surrounded. They weren't as large as Leo, but definitely were bigger than me. We were greatly outnumbered, so they could probably overpower us.

What is your business here? Leo demanded, eyes following all of their movements as best as he could.

Oh, we are just... exploring. We've heard some rumors about this alpha who wants to take Big Sur. And, you see, those are our stomping grounds. So that bothers us.

One of them made a lunge towards my tail, making me yelp and jerk away, bumping against Leo's front legs and chest. All of them guffawed, especially when Leo and I had to disentangle ourselves. I was shaking so bad that Leo told me to lay back down and breathe. Stay beneath me.

She isn't the type of girl I would expect an Alpha to say that too. What happens when your babies come out looking like... that?

Leo's hair stood on end, his body quivering with anger. I will slaughter all of you. Get out of my territory.

We'll stay out of yours if you leave ours. We don't take kindly to outsiders acting like they own the place, Alpha or not.

When I take that land from under your mutt paws, myself and my warriors are going to rip you limb from limb. And you, Leo motioned with his head towards the one that tried to bite me, I will keep on the brink of death for years for frightening my mate.

Don't say we didn't warn you, Alpha. You don't know what us mutts are capable of. It would be a shame if your deformed female would have to become a victim for you to understand that.

With that, all of them began disappearing through the brush. Leo waited, muscles tensed with his ears perked forward, listening to them until they were too far to hear. As soon as he was sure they were off of the territory, his guard was lowered. Then he nuzzled my face.

Don't listen to them. You're-

They are right.

He growled, laying beside me and bumping his nose against mine. That isn't true and you know it.

I just sighed and turned my head away, closing my eyes. Why would you run ahead by yourself? he asked me.

I thought we were still playing and-

I flinched as a deep growl rumbled from his chest. Leo nipped at my ear once, reprimanding me. We talked about this, Adelaide. You shouldn't be out on your own.

You're always reprimanding me, I grumbled.

It's only because I care. You know that. I don't want anything to happen to you. As much as we hate to admit it, you're vulnerable in this form. I just wish you would tell me before you run off. I trust you, but it's everyone else that I'm concerned about. His wolf nuzzled against my face fondly. Let's go home. There's an announcement I have to make to the pack tonight. One that I'll need a lot of prep for. And I don't want to worry about you for the rest of the day.